lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
Zeusdafreak
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Setting the Toe and Camber and gained speed

I finally got around to setting the toe and camber on the front of my newly lifted cart. I discovered that from center line of the front of my tires to center line of the rear of my front tires was a difference of 1.75"!!!!

I got this adjusted and fixed along with the camber and gained 1 mph!!

I just wanted to let others know that being toe in too much definitely affects top speed. It also drives and handles much better. I was lazy and chose to let that part of my project wait a while and finally got around to doing it. Hope this helps others learn from my mistakes.
Zeusdafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Setting the Toe and Camber and gained speed

Thats what used to be called in the old days "DOG LEGGING" or "SNOW PLOWING"
At that setting the tire tread wouldn't have lasted very long, and over steering caused spooky turns etc.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
BamaDozier
Getting Wild

Club Car

how do you go about setting them? Interesting thread.
BamaDozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Zeusdafreak
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I'm sure there are many techniques to go about doing it. I used a soap stone to mark the centerline of each front tire. I marked the front side half way up the tire and the back side half way up the tire. So for my 25 inch tire the two marks are approx 12.5 inches off the ground. I then took a tape measure and measured the distance from mark on one tire to the mark on the other. On the back side of the front tires the tape had to go under the cart to get from mark to mark. On the front obviously the tape went across the front of the cart.

Once I got these two measurement I loosened the tierod and turned it until the two measurements were almost identical(1/8" toe in) and then tightened the tierod back down.

One thing I noted. Once you change the toe the camber may need adjusting again. Work with each until you get both to your liking. Now I did look at the camber on the rear of the cart with my framing square to notice they are both leaning. I don't know how they would get adjusted but my front end is right as rain. Hope this helps!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

ZEUSDAFREAK- You made me think about checking the Camber on the rear wheels of my 1996 Club Car and I found them to be perfect at 90 degrees. Are both of your rear wheels tilted in same direction or opposite? Opposite would indicate a bent axle housing or worn wheel bearings. Same direction could mean a possible spring weakening on one side or other ( normally drivers side weak ), or spring bushings wear?
Neighbor was having major problems with wear on rear tires and when we checked rear for square we found that because of rear spring bushing and shackle wear it was almost 4" side tracking. We checked it by measuring first from center of front tires to center of rear tires, then cross checked from front right tire to left rear tire etc. Now his cart steers like a near power steering rig with no side pulls etc. Checked track on wet cement and found straight markings ( except for difference of front to rear axle widths ).
NOTE When we tried to check rear alignment from front of frame we found way too much frame variation to depend on?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Zeusdafreak
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The rear tires are leaning in / \ a bit. On a 25" tire using a framing square the top is approx. 1/2 inch gap from the square with the bottom of the square against the tire. 1/2 inch gap at the top over 25 inches isn't the end of the world but I wish there were and easy way to fix it. Not a big deal to me I guess.......................Could be worth .33333mph HEHE!!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Might be a good idea to check your rear outer wheel bearings, spring bushings and look for possible wear on shackles as well. I had never seen shackles wear like mine ( upper and lower through bolts had worn holes oval shaped and cut almost half way through and spacers inside bushings were short by almost 3/4" over new ones) but may be over the years before I got cart it could have been given heavy usage at some golf course? When I got my cart the company had replaced the motor and rebuilt the front suspension and new controller and tires, and replaced body so it was almost like new otherwise. My cart has never been off the road since I bought it and its inside park so its not from abuse at least on my part. That much tilt will shorten the tire life some, mostly on inside edge but if you dont drive it alot the wear will not be bad? Sure not worth having new differential tubes replaced if thats the problem?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Zeusdafreak
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I will check the bearings. Definitely a good idea.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
BamaDozier
Getting Wild

Club Car

I just replaced my bearings in front. Was putting on my lift and found some chewed up pieces of metal that resembled a bearing! Glad I caught it now and not while humming down the road!
BamaDozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Zeusdafreak
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Do they make different grades of wheel bearings? How much were they?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car