lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
own1198
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default New Onward - limp mode

Hello, new to the forums and new golf cart owner!

I recently purchased a brand new lifted electric onward. After a couple of weeks of use, I had a conversion kit installed 400 AMP controller, high speed motor, solenoid, etc. This was completed yesterday and the cart is doing almost 30MPH on flat surface and 24-25 on hills. Once the technician left, I went for another drive and the cart wouldn't go fast at all. I flipped the Tow/Run switch and that fixes it for the time being but once I turn the cart off and use it again, same issue so flipping the tow/run switch fixes it again.

I have read here how this could be a bad solenoid, speed sensor, etc but given that all parts are pretty new I was wondering if there's something else that could be causing this. The tech left the Curtis programmer and said he would be back mid-next week to pick it up. The programmer is giving me a "1268-5501 Main Welded" code.

Any settings I should double check in the programmer that could be causing this? or other simple troubleshooting that I could do in the meantime?

Thanks for the help.
own1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: New Onward - limp mode

Well since it’s giving you a code I’d start with checking the solenoid. Do you hear it click closed when pressing the gas and click open after coming to a stop?

If the programmer has a monitor function like the Alltrax software you can see what the controller is seeing as far as the solenoid inputs.
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
own1198
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you for the reply. I will check on the clicking shortly.
As far as the monitoring, what specific values should I pay attention to? I can post them here for additional feedback.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
own1198
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Racer View Post
Well since it’s giving you a code I’d start with checking the solenoid. Do you hear it click closed when pressing the gas and click open after coming to a stop?

If the programmer has a monitor function like the Alltrax software you can see what the controller is seeing as far as the solenoid inputs.
As far as the clicking, only when pressing the gas I a able to hear it. NO clicks when coming to a stop.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
own1198
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

On the monitor function, I see a big difference in values on "ARM PWN"
When the cart is in limp mode - Value does not go over 30
When is working properly (after flipping tow/run switch) - values in the 100's
thoughts?
Old 07-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think that’s the armature amps, which makes sense they are limited to 30 in limp mode. Can you find a value stating if the solenoid is open or closed? Or if the controller is telling the solenoid to be open or closed?

When it goes into limp mode, do you still hear the solenoid click when starting from a stop? Or does it only click from a stop again after you have cycled the R/T switch?
Old 07-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
own1198
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Racer View Post
I think that’s the armature amps, which makes sense they are limited to 30 in limp mode. Can you find a value stating if the solenoid is open or closed? Or if the controller is telling the solenoid to be open or closed?

When it goes into limp mode, do you still hear the solenoid click when starting from a stop? Or does it only click from a stop again after you have cycled the R/T switch?
I couldn’t find anything about the selonoid. One thing I just noticed, it only clicks when in limp mode. When I cycle the T/R switch it goes fast again but no click. Makes sense?
Old 07-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sounds like you’ve got a stuck solenoid. Did you replace the solenoid when upgrading the controller??
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
own1198
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownblue View Post
Sounds like you’ve got a stuck solenoid. Did you replace the solenoid when upgrading the controller??
Yep. Brand new solenoid, controller and motor.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #10
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I guess it’s possible the new solenoid is bad. It happens. Tell the guy to bring another one when he comes to get the programmer and fix it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car