lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
tlumpkin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Dash installed working on new steering wheel

OK Guru's I am installing an aftermarket steering wheel. I would love to make the steering wheel horn button work. Any ideas? Looks like I would need to ground the steering column. Just not sure how to connect the other side of ground to the horn switch. Thanks for helping me guys, I will try and take some pics soon.

Todd
tlumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Dash installed working on new steering wheel

The Gurus all went home
On an electric cart everything is on a 2 wire system nothing is ever grounded to the frame ..... it takes two wires to anything....Good Luck.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

?Doesn't the horn button have a hot wire from pos.on battery in one side & out the other just like any other switch? Hot wire out goes to the horn wire/terminal then GROUND THE HORN direct to neg. on battery.
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The way to wire a horn on an electric cart is pick one Pos or Neg goes directly to the horn and the other lead goes to the button. It gets interrupted or switched and then it goes on to the horn....As simple as pie
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Horn buttons "in the steering wheel", usually use the GROUND side to turn the horn on, while the horn is always connected to a hot wire.

So, by completing the ground circuit through the horn button itself, when making contact with the ground, the horn blows.

HOWEVER......... Pay close attention........... Golf carts can not use the chassis ground!

Make sure your horn has 2 wire connections on it and the horn button in the steering wheel is totaly isolated from chassis ground or has 2 leads on it too. (as indicated in Scotty's post)

Hope this helps.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
tlumpkin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

When you push the "steering wheel" horn button it maks the circuit "ground". Is there a problem grounding the steering colmn so that when you push the button it will make 12v ground? One problem with this whole steering wheel idea. Cars have the horn wire running in the middle of the colomn, can't do that on the cart. Everytime you turn the wheel, it will be turuing the gound wire. Not sure how long that will last.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
tlumpkin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The way to wire a horn on an electric cart is pick one Pos or Neg goes directly to the horn and the other lead goes to the button. It gets interrupted or switched and then it goes on to the horn....As simple as pie
Simple as pie.... mmmm. Help SB, I want to run it to the steering wheel horn botton "which turns". I have an aftermarket button that could be hookup up in 5 mins. I thought the steering wheel horn would be cool, but it has whooped me...lol.

I am installing the steering wheel, and diamond plate side panels tomorrow. After I back it out of the garage, I will snap some pics. It is going to Fast Sign to have a partial vinyl wrap put on it.

Thanks guys, ain't this fun....Todd

Last edited by tlumpkin; 03-14-2009 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

OK so just put the horn button on the floor like the rest of us do.

"And they walk among us"
Old 03-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Or on the column just under the steering wheel like on factory turn signals if you can clamp it there.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey Scuba I forgot all about those clamp on horn buttons!! Thirty years ago they use to cost about $1.98 at Western Auto. I may try to find one as I step on my horn button by accident every now & then. Usually when I am behind some great big dude at an intersection!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car