lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2017, 11:54 PM   #1
Forty01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Navitas 600 Amp controller opinions and suggestions

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and golf carts. I have a club car DS regen II, outside of the lift that the po put on it is stock. That's about to change as I just ordered the Navitas 600 amp controller, IQ conversion, hd solenoid, and a few other things from buggies unlimited today. I was going to just go with a 400 amp Curtis but Gene at BU told me the 600 amp was on sale for $475 so I went with it. So the question is; is this a good controller and is the torque controller necessary?
Forty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
BlueandWhiteRV
WE ARE! PENN STATE!

Club Car

Default Re: Navitas 600 Amp controller opinions and suggestions

Welcome. The short answer to this is send it back and get an Alltrax from Dave or ScottyB on the forum sponsers. The Navitas may be a good controller but the for the difference in price, the wisdom you will get from people on the forum is immeasurable. I have personal experience with Dave from Revolution saving my behind on more than one occasion.
BlueandWhiteRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
swm63
Gone Wild

+2 on Dave and Scotty.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

+3 on sending it back!
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
Forty01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandWhiteRV View Post
Welcome. The short answer to this is send it back and get an Alltrax from Dave or ScottyB on the forum sponsers. The Navitas may be a good controller but the for the difference in price, the wisdom you will get from people on the forum is immeasurable. I have personal experience with Dave from Revolution saving my behind on more than one occasion.
Will you please tag them if in this post so I can contact them. Thank you.
Forty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
BlueandWhiteRV
WE ARE! PENN STATE!

Club Car

Revolution Golf Carts or Carts Unlimited. Just click on the site sponsor page.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
BlueandWhiteRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Up in the blue area above, there is a site sponsor tab, might be easier to use that, and, yes, those two are great...
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Yes, get an Alltrax from one of those site sponsors, you won't regret it.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty01 View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and golf carts. I have a club car DS regen II, outside of the lift that the po put on it is stock. That's about to change as I just ordered the Navitas 600 amp controller, IQ conversion, hd solenoid, and a few other things from buggies unlimited today. I was going to just go with a 400 amp Curtis but Gene at BU told me the 600 amp was on sale for $475 so I went with it. So the question is; is this a good controller and is the torque controller necessary?
Seems like the time to ask has passed.
But since you did, I can give a little insight. Nivel has pushed this unit very hard since it's introduction. Yet this control is not very popular. I'm shocked but not surprised to see them once again underselling all of their dealers on this item. Typical Nivel tactics. Especially disturbing after last months dealer price increase and mandatory price fixing (I'm sorry - price protection) policy to protect from "internet predatory pricing". Wait, isn't that what they have built an empire on? Anyway -

This control has a 600a output which is 80 amps lower than the Alltrax 600 amp SR or XCT controls.
It is not user programmable with free program software like the Alltrax.
It does not have reverse polarity
Does not have a cooling fan like Alltrax
Does not have monitor file sharing
Or a year warranty

Looking at the Nivel's BU website I see all of the Navitas controllers are on clearance sale. Looks like they are dumping the product.

If you use the auxiliary 'on the fly' dongle you can adjust the field current to speed up the motor. Problem I see with this is there is no safety net when it comes to user error. If the user selects the fastest speed thus weakening the field amperage to the minimum current and drives the cart in hills or soft footing or overloaded or any situation that requires more torque than speed the motor will overheat & fail. I have seen this with my customer who successfully melted a new $500 motor in one day.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

In addition to what scottyb just said, Nivel has horrible customer service. I tried for over two weeks to get answers to simple questions regarding their products. They were quite responsive immediately but as soon as they found out I was not a dealer, they went silent. I finally got a hold of someone who was sympathetic to my plight and told me what I needed to know.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
600 amp, controller, navitas, otf
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car