lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Default Re: Runs better in reverse than forward

what they sell cheap in acuurate testing devices? that sounds stupid! thank god i got me a good gauge from 1972 with a broke glaqss front and it has a shaped nipple i just have to shove in the hole! it gets me the best reading too! never seen it go over 70psi!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #12
rod1bmf
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4strokejunkie View Post
Well i kept testing this cart and found the compression was higher in reverse than in forward,also when i watched the guage the pressure went from 110 to a 100 pretty quick and kept fallin.Si im guessing the crank seals are leaking...
What did you ever find out with this I have the same problem!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
rod1bmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #13
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

you may be reading the compression gauge wrong (maybe on the metric scale ?) I would look at my scale but it is raining so hard I can't get to my shop. The compression readings that are higher in reverse are probably low. The symptoms you give us sound like the compression is too low.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:42 PM   #14
racord1050
Not Yet Wild

I am new to the site, I just bought a 1978 AMF harley davidson golf cart and have been searching everywhere for information. I thought I would share what i have found out. It ran great in reverse but not so great forward. I put in new points messed with the timing forever...I know it has a reverse timing mark and a forward timing mark and i thought I had it but it still ran bad in forward. i finally got a new voltage regulator and I assume, I'm not a mechanic of these, that it was set low from the factory. I jacked up the rear left tire and gave it full gas while I slowly adjusted the screw on the voltage regulator and all the sudden it ran great!! i don't know if I hit a sweet spot or not, I have the manual and it says you should read 13-14.5 volts at 3000 rpm. I installed a voltage gauge on the dash and when I hit 13 volts it ran great. I don't know if this will work for everyone but it fixed mine. I also got points from an auto store for a 1970 nova straight six and they worked fine. Hope this helps anyone who was as lost as me. I will post picks as I fix it up.
racord1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #15
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I can not see the relationship but all things are possible. The engine should turn faster in reverse due to engine design. It sounds like timing is still an issue. I suppose voltage could have an effect on timing but I don't see it. My cart was running slower lately si I checked compression at 90 psi and checked the points after 5 years and the cam block had worn some which had changed the timing some. When I reworked the engine several years ago I set the drive clutch too close for the normal belt so rather than pull it out and fix it I used a worn belt which worked well for 3 years and the belt is causing speed problems now. I haven't checked the running battery or charging voltage but I don't think that would change anything but battery charging. I would check other problems also. Timing sounds a little suspicious still.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson