lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
surf03
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2006 Club Car Precedent Rebuild

I have a 2006 Precedent with some rust to some of the undercarriage, i.e. steering, shocks, etc. Apparently this cart was on a course very close to the coast because most of the hardware all over the cart is rusted. I was clearly tainted while buying and was worried about the running condition and didn't notice all of the rust.

Has anyone stripped one of these? As I am considering stripping and rebuilding everything so that I can have an oppurtunity to clean the rust and repaint all of the parts...

Just trying to get an idea of the difficulty, or should I just get rid of the cart???

My plan was to do a lift and put in new batteries, controller, and motor but I don't know if I wanna spend the money if the carts all rusted.

Ideas? Pics? Advice?

Thnx
surf03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 Club Car Precedent Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf03 View Post
I have a 2006 Precedent with some rust to some of the undercarriage, i.e. steering, shocks, etc. Apparently this cart was on a course very close to the coast because most of the hardware all over the cart is rusted. I was clearly tainted while buying and was worried about the running condition and didn't notice all of the rust.

Has anyone stripped one of these? As I am considering stripping and rebuilding everything so that I can have an oppurtunity to clean the rust and repaint all of the parts...

Just trying to get an idea of the difficulty, or should I just get rid of the cart???

My plan was to do a lift and put in new batteries, controller, and motor but I don't know if I wanna spend the money if the carts all rusted.

Ideas? Pics? Advice?

Thnx
I'd get it regardless. Most of the rusty stuff will be replaced with certain lift kits.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
carguy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: 2006 Club Car Precedent Rebuild

Our '05 Precedent has an aluminium frame - they don't rust. Pretty sure an
'06 has the same frame. Mine did have a white corrosion on the frame from over filling the batteries, but that can be sanded or wire brushed off. The '06 probably has 4 - 12 volt batteries, which are the weak point of the car (IMHO). BUT Club Car has a conversion kit to chage it to 6 - 8 volt batteries. I think Nivel is also comming out with a conversion kit.

The Precedent has substantial electronics. Some folks don't like that.

Have fun - Dave
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
surf03
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yeah the frame is aluminum but all other undercarriage components are not and they are rusted.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
surf03
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
I'd get it regardless. Most of the rusty stuff will be replaced with certain lift kits.
Which (6") lift replaces the most components? Or which lift would you recommend?

I have been looking at the combo on ebay, offered by this seller:
http://stores.ebay.com/RockyTopCarts

They offer lift kit, tire, and wheel combos....

Can anyone comment to their quality? Recommend/don't touch?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Those look like Jakes Lift Kit knock off's. Personally I'd rather either go with a Jakes lift kit which provide forged spindles rather then hollow one's like those. Also you can go with an Allsports Lift Kit. Both are of the highest quality. 3R sells lift kit/wheel/combos you might want to check out. I wouldn't touch that ebay lift kit unless you really need to save some money otherwise go Jakes or Allsports.
easydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
jlmurphy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I like my 2006 CC. Buff the rusty parts and paint. When you get ready for upgrades a lot of the parts are discarded. It will give you a good project.
jlmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Which (6") lift replaces the most components? Or which lift would you recommend?
I highly recommend the All-Sports 6" Lift kit. It replaces everything in the front suspension except for the steering rack itself, and the hubs (Both mostly aluminum and won't rust) The steering rack has a few steel pieces on it but it's not much to worry about. All of the internal parts of it are sealed with rubber boots so it's very unlikely you'll find any rust in there. For the rear, I'd purchase a set of heavy duty factory leaf springs from a site sponsor or Club Car dealer. Another thing lots of people don't know about but makes a WORLD of difference is to buy new brake cables. With the 6" lift, the driver's side brake cable will be too short to reach all the way back to the brake mechanism without causing problems. The added tension on the stock cable will cause the pedal to pulsate and give a sensation that it's pushing back up against your foot. It also will cause the brakes to be very touchy. Do yourself a favor and get two passenger side brake cables. They are longer than the driver's side. Your new cable on the driver's side will actually be a little too long once you do this, but not long enough to cause any problems. Tuck it underneath the car and tie it up. It'll operate 100% better. Once your springs and cables are replaced in the rear, the only other thing you've really gotta worry about being rusty are the shocks and the rear drive unit itself. Shocks are dirt cheap and in most cases the drive units can be cleaned up with a wire wheel and painted with no problems.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
surf03
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

What about the all sports long travel? Or is it overkill?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
What about the all sports long travel? Or is it overkill?
I've heard nothing but great things about it but I have no personal experience with it. I'd say go for it if it's within your budget. It wasn't in mine... Not even at dealer cost.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car