lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #1
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

Default Trouble with my charger or connection

Hi. I have a 2017 RXV purchased a few months back. I believe it has an OEM charger. Lately when I connect the plug, the light on the cart will begin to flash green normally, but usually a short time later I'll come check on it and it'll still be flashing at the same interval (sort-of), but the light is flickering. I've noticed when it does this, I'll only get a partial charge. Maybe to the halfway point.

I can unplug and reconnect it, and it'll flash normally again. I check later, and the same thing. Two nights ago it was plugged-in all night, and wasn't much past halfway (having begun charging at about halfway anyway) charged.

A couple times I've got a good charge going and it'll go up to full as it should.

My cables look good, water is where it needs to be, battery terminals are all clean and solidly connected, and I don't see any dirt or obstructions in/on my contact points, so my first thought is the connection is compromised, and my initial idea (if it's safe) is to put some conductive grease on the plug connection.

Is this an OK idea? Or is this a common thing and someone knows the fix?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
pjr202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trouble with my charger or connection

Sounds like a charger problem. If you have access to somebody elses charger you might want to see how it acts on your cart.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #3
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreatt View Post
Sounds like a charger problem. If you have access to somebody elses charger you might want to see how it acts on your cart.
I wish I did, but this is eastern Kentucky. Not many carts around. There are actually a few in my neighborhood, but they're all gas powered. I've thought about checking with the shop that customized it for us, but it's 40 miles away and I would likely have to tow it there unless they were feeling generous enough to let me borrow one. I may still try that though.

Is it safe to put conductive grease on there? Now that I'm thinking about it again I'm wondering if it may be a bad idea, purely because it would collect dust and pollen.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #4
Threeput
Gone Wild

Have you checked the voltages across each battery while it is charging
Threeput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:51 PM   #5
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

Fixed! (I think)

While I had chicken on the grill, I flipped the seat up and started double checking all the connections, etc. Don't know how I missed it before, but I spotted a positive terminal with a lot of corrosion. I grabbed a wire brush and set to cleaning it, and it didn't take long to see the bolt to it was very loose. I finished brushing, tightened the bolt, set the cart to charge, and when we got back from softball practice it was still going strong.

Thank you all for the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO