lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2021, 07:39 AM   #1
69mock1
Not Yet Wild

Default Which Charger to get 4 my Li-NMC pack?

I have a custom built 14s 48v 2017 Li-NMC 2017 Chevy Bolt battery pack/bank a local shop built for me. It has a 400A msd as well as a BMS.

Since my cart came with six 8v lead acid batteries, my existing ERIC Charger won’t get the job done now.

It’s Also my understanding that the Chevy Bolt algorithm will need to be download it into my charger so that it’s programmed with the correct charge profile. My shop will be taking care of that.

I looked through hell and high water at chargers for this pack and I’m still unsure on which to get. For what it’s worth I still have the club car stock 3 pound female plug for the ERIC charger but I can always change that if necessary. Any advice is much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CBF38CEA-F21A-4366-8197-662D77324938.jpg (194.7 KB, 0 views)
69mock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Which Charger to get 4 my Li-NMC pack?

I had a Schauer charger custom built for my cart. Maybe one of the Site Sponsors can get Schauer and do a custom profile for you as well. Do not try and charge your cart with that charger.
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
69mock1
Not Yet Wild

Hello. Little background

2016 Club Car Precedent
6” lift
22”x12” wheels
Plum Quick Motor

Full Electronic Guage with fuse buss and 48v/12v transformer

#2 motor/controller wires
600A Navitas Controller
600A solenoid

+++++. (Below)

So here goes. I had a local startup shop build me a 14s 48v Li-NMC battery pack with BMS made out of harvested 2017 Chevy Bolt Cells for my 2016 Club Car Precedent Golf Cart. There is a 400A MSD and I’ve also installed a 300A Mastershutoff and another 400A inline fuse

I also fabricated a custom battery rack/mount for the pack.

My question is the charger. My cart came with lead-acid batteries thus the factory club car ERIC charger is not Lithium compatible.

I have been on golf cart forums, spoke to many shops, vendors, and a few manufacturers, problem is a lot of what I’m doing is “semi” uncharted territory.

From what I gather, once I get a charger I’ll have to install the Chevy bolt battery algorithm in it. My battery guy will be doing that.

Ill need a charger that has USB capability in order to install the algorithm via a thumb drive.

The charge profile will have to cut once the cells reach no more than 58.1volts each.

I’ve looked at the Delta-Q chargers but I’m looking for some suggestions from all of you who may have a similiar setup . 😀😀😀

Thank you. Also I joined a Chevy Bolt forum looking for some guidance but now I may be able ven.. Here is a sampling of what a few members there responded with:

You can't use the GM software designed for a temperature controlled liquid cooled 390V 60 kWh battery pack on a 48V system consisting of 14 Bolt cells connected in series. You will need custom software in the aftermarket BMS that you are using. Also, as others have said, the cells you have are currently subject to recall by GM due to two separate defects creating a significant fire hazard.

Keith

Here r a couple of pics of my project:
Old 07-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

WTH is that clump of copper wire in pic #2?
Old 07-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #5
69mock1
Not Yet Wild

That was when I was wiring in the 600 amp solenoid to the Navitas 600 amp controller
Old 07-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #6
69mock1
Not Yet Wild

Another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4CA6EC06-83EE-47C9-B751-4D9AA8EFAF5D.jpg (165.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-25-2021, 09:27 PM   #7
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I feel better now; that looks great!
Old 07-26-2021, 12:24 AM   #8
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

The BMS should be programmed with the maximum and minimum cell voltages and pack voltages to protect your cells.

The charger doesn’t need to be programmed with anything. A lithium battery charger is actually a very simple thing and only has to do 3 things.
It has to limit its initial current (Constant Current Mode)
Once the current draw is below the current limit it has to limit its maximum voltage (Constant Voltage Mode)
Once the current draw drops to around 10% of the CC value the charger should shut off.

So, you need a CC-CV charger with low current cut off, with the ability to adjust the three values, or at minimum the CV setting. This is usually done with trim pots, not a USB connection.

Here’s the “charger” I’m using for my Leaf installation. It’s simply a switch mode power supply with current and voltage adjustment. I simply switch it off once it has been in CV mode for a few hours, that part is not that critical, especially if you’re conservative on the maximum voltage setting.

Cheers
Pat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A8BEBC2F-72D8-428A-8417-A2BAB81ABC64.jpg (80.4 KB, 0 views)
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car