lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2021, 11:40 PM   #1
flyby71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 23 HP Vanguard Stock 2 Barrel Carb Tuning

Before I jump off into a Mikuni Carb, I was going to try to see about tuning my stock 2 barrel carb for my 23 HP Vanguard. Does anyone have any advise on tuning one of these? What size drill bits to try, carb jet kits to order, or any other tips? I am attaching a pic of my carb model.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0F302842-3405-463A-AB28-5CAE2C2B3E93.jpg (227.6 KB, 0 views)
flyby71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 23 HP Vanguard Stock 2 Barrel Carb Tuning

I would not drill any jets out until you get it dialed in. Usually the two barrel carbs are only adjustable on the idle air circuit and the idle speed.

Start with a thoroughly cleaned carb. Make sure to clean out each tiny jet with a small piece of copper wire or a jet cleaning tool.

On top of the carb you'll see two adjusters, one for each side of the carb. Remove the black plastic caps with a tiny flathead. Most times you can bottom those out (gently) then back them out 1.5 turns each as a baseline. Warm the engine up, then start adjusting to get the highest idle speed and smoothest quality at 2000 rpm, then back down the idle speed screw on the side. Most times you'll only be able to get the idle down to 1200 rpm or so.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #3
flyby71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I would not drill any jets out until you get it dialed in. Usually the two barrel carbs are only adjustable on the idle air circuit and the idle speed.

Start with a thoroughly cleaned carb. Make sure to clean out each tiny jet with a small piece of copper wire or a jet cleaning tool.

On top of the carb you'll see two adjusters, one for each side of the carb. Remove the black plastic caps with a tiny flathead. Most times you can bottom those out (gently) then back them out 1.5 turns each as a baseline. Warm the engine up, then start adjusting to get the highest idle speed and smoothest quality at 2000 rpm, then back down the idle speed screw on the side. Most times you'll only be able to get the idle down to 1200 rpm or so.

Awesome, thank you!

I’m still wanting to get rid of that dead spot at 3000 rpm that I had asked you about in the past. It’s getting pretty bad at 3000.

I was really hoping there was another way besides a new carb. I’ve been looking at the 30mm Mikuni, I think that’s what I’ll try if I have to go that route. Still haven’t decided between the backwater and performance 670 adapter.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:48 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Unfortunately the Briggs engine is designed for a tractor lol, running at 3600 rpm constant. The carb just isn't made for varying throttle like we want in a golf cart, especially for higher performance. The blackwater kit is really pricy, but it's nice.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
flyby71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Unfortunately the Briggs engine is designed for a tractor lol, running at 3600 rpm constant. The carb just isn't made for varying throttle like we want in a golf cart, especially for higher performance. The blackwater kit is really pricy, but it's nice.
Well dang. Looks like it will be Mikuni time. I’ll call backwater and price their adapter. Last time I’ll ask Slonomo, but after reading so many threads, many that you have told about your experiences, it seems like you think a 30 mm or 32 mm is optimal for a 23 vanguard set up. You have made positive comments about both sizes, but which one would you suggest, 30 mm or 32 mm?
Old 07-26-2021, 09:34 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Someone on here who messed with a lot of Vanguards told me that they don't like a lot of carb, they prefer smaller vs larger. So in my experience the 34 mm ran really nicely, it idled at like 700 or 800 rpm and took off like a rocket. Now with that said, it did fuel foul the spark plugs some. If I had to do it over again, I would go 30 mm and call it a day. The thing is, unless you are looking for "max performance" or "max rpm power" anything larger than 30 mm is just overkill. With a "properly tuned" 30 mm Mikuni you will gain better idle quality, better throttle response, no dead spot in the middle, and you will gain hp over the stock carb. Tuning the mikuni is pretty straight forward and it is designed to be run on motorcycles so the performance is top notch.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:41 PM   #7
flyby71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Someone on here who messed with a lot of Vanguards told me that they don't like a lot of carb, they prefer smaller vs larger. So in my experience the 34 mm ran really nicely, it idled at like 700 or 800 rpm and took off like a rocket. Now with that said, it did fuel foul the spark plugs some. If I had to do it over again, I would go 30 mm and call it a day. The thing is, unless you are looking for "max performance" or "max rpm power" anything larger than 30 mm is just overkill. With a "properly tuned" 30 mm Mikuni you will gain better idle quality, better throttle response, no dead spot in the middle, and you will gain hp over the stock carb. Tuning the mikuni is pretty straight forward and it is designed to be run on motorcycles so the performance is top notch.
30 sounds like the perfect choice! I have Isky springs and billet pushrods, but no cam. I don’t race my cart, but I do enjoy the speed periodically. For the most part, it’s just a neighborhood cruiser for the family. Thank you for the advice!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:44 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby71 View Post
30 sounds like the perfect choice! I have Isky springs and billet pushrods, but no cam. I don’t race my cart, but I do enjoy the speed periodically. For the most part, it’s just a neighborhood cruiser for the family. Thank you for the advice!
You will appreciate the carb change. I know it's a lot of money and effort, but once it's dialed in you will thank yourself for making the investment.

Remember....there is no substitution for doing a job the right way. In the long run, it will pay you back with smiles.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:42 PM   #9
flyby71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
You will appreciate the carb change. I know it's a lot of money and effort, but once it's dialed in you will thank yourself for making the investment.

Remember....there is no substitution for doing a job the right way. In the long run, it will pay you back with smiles.
With keeping you mr last sentence in mind…..I called Backwater today. I was told their adapter was $310 plus shipping

I also spent a good deal of time talking with performance670. He agreed with the 30mm suggestion and told me that I could orient the carb either way with their adapter. The price is also substantially less than the Backwater adapter.

Having all this in mind, is there any reason NOT to go with the performance670? Would it really be worth it to spring for the Backwater?
Old 07-28-2021, 05:27 PM   #10
flyby71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Also, going with a Uni Clamp On Dual Layer Pod Filter. I’m thinking the one with the 15* angle. The big question is should I go for the 6” long one or the 4” long one?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!