lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2021, 03:28 PM   #1
Mcollins77
Not Yet Wild

Default Welded Solenoid- Potential Damage - Battery Charger Hot - Batteries Not Charging

I have a 2014 Club Cart Precedent. Modifications I have done - 6" lift, 23" Tired, Navitas 600A Controller. 2 GA Battery Wires. Plum Quick Executioner Motor

My problem is that I noticed my batteries were not charging. I went to inspect the charger and it was red hot. I rarely go to my Navitas app on my phone but when I did it said I had a "welded solenoid" as an error. I purchased a HD Solenoid. Installed it but the "welded solenoid" error won't go away. I tried charging the batteries again and it still would not charge and the charger was hot again. The cart will still drive. It will still go 32 mph which tells me I think the controller is still working. It just won't charge and the charger is still getting red hot. I used a neighbor's charger and it still their charger still got red hot. Their charger also is working fine on their cart.

Did I do any damage driving the cart not knowing the solenoid was welded shut? Does anyone know what damage a welded solenoid could have done to the controller or motor or any other parts?

Lastly, I checked the batteries with a charge tester and they are all fine.

I am stuck and you'll be my hero if you can point me in the right direction!
Mcollins77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2021, 04:11 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Welded Solenoid- Potential Damage - Battery Charger Hot - Batteries Not Charging

No damage from a welded solenoid.
The contacts inside got stuck together, which is what they do when the cart is driving.
You may have a throttle setting or a pedal adjustment issue that is causing the controller to start pulling power before the solenoid closes, or the solenoid may just not have been big enough to handle the current moving through it.
Something you do also want to check is that the solenoid is opening when you turn the key off. If the solenoid is staying engaged it will set the fault in the controller.

What charger are you using?
What brand and type of batteries? Model number?
Chargers get hot. Some of the newer smart chargers can get well over 100° during charging, but most of them have thermal protection built in, so if it gets too hot it will turn itself off or lower the output until the temp comes down.

Where is it mounted? On the cart or in the garage/shed? Is there room around the charger for airflow?

What makes you think the batteries are not charging? Did you check the pack voltage while the charger is plugged in?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:55 PM   #3
Mcollins77
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Welded Solenoid- Potential Damage - Battery Charger Hot - Batteries Not Charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The contacts inside got stuck together, which is what they do when the cart is driving.
You may have a throttle setting or a pedal adjustment issue that is causing the controller to start pulling power before the solenoid closes, or the solenoid may just not have been big enough to handle the current moving through it.
Something you do also want to check is that the solenoid is opening when you turn the key off. If the solenoid is staying engaged it will set the fault in the controller.

Chargers get hot. Some of the newer smart chargers can get well over 100° during charging, but most of them have thermal protection built in, so if it gets too hot it will turn itself off or lower the output until the temp comes down.

Where is it mounted? On the cart or in the garage/shed? Is there room around the charger for airflow?

What makes you think the batteries are not charging? Did you check the pack voltage while the charger is plugged in?
Using a regular Club Cart generic charger. Powercore batteries and Interstate. Charger is on the floor of garage in an open air environment.

The only reason I was thought they weren't charging was due to the battery charge indicator light which even typing that made me have a Homer Simpson DOH!!! Moment. I shouldn't go by a dummy light but instead check the pack voltage while the charger is plugged in. Doing that now.

Lastly- I bought the SW180B-1125 Curtis Albright HD Solenoid. Is the diode an absolute must? It wasn't on my last one. I have no clue what that does.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:03 PM   #4
Mcollins77
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

Using a regular Club Cart generic charger. Powercore batteries and Interstate. Charger is on the floor of garage in an open air environment.

The only reason I was thought they weren't charging was due to the battery charge indicator light which even typing that made me have a Homer Simpson DOH!!! Moment. I shouldn't go by a dummy light but instead check the pack voltage while the charger is plugged in. Doing that now.

Lastly- I bought the SW180B-1125 Curtis Albright HD Solenoid. Is the diode an absolute must? It wasn't on my last one. I have no clue what that does.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #5
Mcollins77
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

Okay. Brand new batteries. Brand new HD solenoid. Navitas still says welded solenoid. The key doesn't have to be on or off for cart to run. I'm close to lighting this **** thing on fire. Any suggestions except to use gasoline when I do it? Do I need to reset the OBC?

Went around the block in the neighborhood. Cart still goes 30+ No issues.

I unhooked all the 2AWG battery wires when I put it back in the garage because I didnt know if I had some short drawing current and messing up the brand new batteries. I noticed one of the wires was warm. Definitely not hot but I could feel the heat.

Driving me freaking nuts. And I really want to replace freaking with a much stronger word.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:29 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Solenoid staying on, and the cart still works with the key off.
Battery cables can get warm pretty quickly when under load. Had you just been driving the cart when you checked the cable and found it warm?

Check the Key switch for stuck contacts. Have seen a few mentions here of key switches failing closed so they still give power through even when in the Off position. Not common, but it can happen.
Another thing that could happen is incorrectly connected wiring for a voltage reducer or accessories. Do you have lights, radio, voltage reducer, or anything else that requires 12v connected to the battery pack? If so, completely disconnect ALL of it, and see if it makes any difference in the operation of the cart.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solenoid, weld, welded
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car