lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2021, 03:37 PM   #1
resqguy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2004 TXT 36v Lithium upgrade options

I need to get new batteries in my cart. I am reviewing my options but I need to make sure I understand what each option requires. I was hoping some of the experts on here would fill in anything I have missed and to help me in the right direction.

Option 1 - just replace with lead acid and be on my way. Get ready to repeat in 3 - 5 years.

Option 2 - 36v LiFePO4 (ROYPOW or similar) battery pack. Seek out a dealer and hope they have one in stock. So far I have only been able to locate 48v packs. Upside - fairly easy swap (once I found one). Downside - very pricy.

Option 3 - Upgrade to 48v and purchase 48v pack. Easier to source, but worried about the added expense for the 48v motor and controller swap. Are there any 48v upgrades that are cheaper than Navitas. My current 36v motor and controller run fine.

Option 4 - Purchase 3 x 12v LiFePO4 battery packs, wire in series. I would need packs without internal BMS which would require the purchase a 36v BMS and charger (assuming they exist). I don't know if this is possible?

Option 5 - Complete DIY. Purchase 12ea 3.2v cells and build my own pack. I'm open to this because of the lower cost but again it comes down to sourcing a 36v BMS and charger.

Open to other options.

Sorry for the basic questions but I really need advice on which direction to go. These upgrades aren't cheap and do overs would be expensive.
resqguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2004 TXT 36v Lithium upgrade options

Hi,

Option 4…..don’t even contemplate it. You won’t find 12v batteries without a BMS and if you’re going to that extent, I’d go with option 5. It’s not difficult but Do you have a basic understanding of electrical?

36v BMS is easy to come by, just search for 12s LiFePO4 BMS, as is the charger. But why stop there, if funds are available, go for options 3 and 5.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:57 AM   #3
resqguy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Pat,

I am an electrical engineer/IT guy by trade so I have lots of theory under my belt. Still working through all the jargon related to Lithium and modern battery technology.

I'm leaning toward option 5 just because it will force me to research and understand everything, rather than relying on Amazon reviews etc.

Are there BMS out there that are configurable? Could one be configured for either 36v or 48v? I think you see where I am going. If I am successful with the 36v DIY pack it would be great to upgrade to 48v later.
resqguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:25 PM   #4
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hi,

Being an electrical engineer (I’m an electronic engineer) I would certainly be building my own pack. You can build the pack to your own specs, the off the shelf ones are not only built to a price but dumbed down to be as simple as possible to use.

There are BMS’s that are scaleable but the cost of buying a new one when required is not prohibitive. Look at the bluetooth equiped smart BMS’s that give you full configuration of parameters as well other benefits.

Starting with 36v then upgrading to 48v later is not a good idea. Even if you purchase the same cells, chances are that the new cells you purchase won’t have a similar capacity to your existing ones due to age and batch differences.

You can look at Alibaba or AliExpress for the cells and BMS’s. I know there’s a lot of hate around in regards to Chinese products but there aren’t many other options available at the moment.

I built my pack from repurposed Nissan Leaf gen1 modules but I’ve been searching for LiFePO4 cells that can be used in carts for a while and they have been few and far between. I think I have found some though…..

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...198924840.html

They are 130Ah, have a continuous discharge current of 780A with a 30 second peak of 1560A, more than enough for any cart. Hopefully they’re as good as the specs suggest.

There’s a wealth of information available here to help you through the project.

Cheers
Pat.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:30 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

IMO any pack you build yourself will out perform the "dropin options" and you will have the advantage of knowing what you really have. I have built two systems using Leaf cells and I am very happy with the results. Not cheap even for very used modules though. I wish good cells were available without having to deal with places like alibaba.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:09 AM   #6
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I agree with all your points Volt_Ampere. I have purchased directly from wholesalers on Alibaba before (not battery cells) and it can be mentally challenging :) although all transactions turned out well in the end. The one I linked to above already has a shipping quote to your door included. Shipping is one of the main headaches when dealing with Alibaba.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have noticed that shipping from China has gone way up from many long time suppliers. Not exactly sure why. I have also noticed that those that had US warehouses don't seem to have much in them anymore. I may try batteries from Alibaba - they look attractive and they are priced lower than what I can get used EV batteries for. I don't have any plans for new conversions right now but that could change.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO