lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #1
Humpty
Not Yet Wild

Default Primary clutch belt wear

I picked up a 75 gas model and in the process of rebuilding it. Getting it bored 30 over, etc. The clutches are worn every bit of an 1/8th inch, I just ordered the floating half for primary to address that. I’ve messed with snowmobile clutches for years so I have a good grasp of how they work. This little primary is really a neat little unit, was quite surprised to learn it had oil in it. Appears to be in great shape other than the belt wear, now hears where I’m going with this. I took the floating sheave to a local machinist to see what he thoughts about welding it up and machining it back to spec. He has done some fantastic work like this for me in the past. His thoughts are he’d have to build a jig to capture it to prevent warping during the work.

The jig would be the biggest part of it, my question is how many of these are laying around that need this? Probably be around 150.00 to do this once the jig is built. Would this be something that’s worth fooling with, sure seems they are hard to find…
My secondary sheeves are worn also around an 1/8th inch at worst, I suspect a lot are running around like that. I’ll be keeping my eyes open for a replacement, or a parts car now that I’ve got the bug. Thanks all, take care.
Humpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2021, 12:01 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Primary clutch belt wear

Those clutches are getting tough to find for sure. Most go for $150 or more so, if you can find someone to essentially make a new one (which getting the flanges would essentially do) then I would say it's worth it.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
Humpty
Not Yet Wild

Working on splitting case to replace seals, that flywheel is a bear. Read threads, seen the tool… I’ve picked up some 5/16” key stock to build a puller, the key stock bent to fit in recessed area and welded to a 3” 3 jaw puller should get it.

The cart I got came with boxes of extra parts, there’s a nice 9 spline crank with a 40 over piston on it, a new 20 over piston with no rings, stuff like that if anyone’s interested??

So, does anyone have worn out primary floating flanges laying around, I’d like to see if machine shop can refurbish one. I’m not going to mess with the one I have until the new one is in my hands. I’ll pay shipping and something for it for sure. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:35 PM   #4
Humpty
Not Yet Wild

Got flywheel off, have a puller that will loan out if anyone’s interested.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson