lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2021, 05:43 AM   #11
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 460 runs then dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Both Shepard and I tried the cheap E Bay low pressure pump and both of us got stranded on a hot day and long run with the pump overloading and shutting down. I am now using the Holley Mighty Mite 12-426 low pressure pump on both carts. Not cheap but works well
How long was the run? I’m getting about 3 miles /10 minutes before the bowl runs dry currently. We’re you wide open for awhile when they cut out?
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2021, 06:08 AM   #12
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYMATT View Post
It’s weird my carryall has same engine and has no issues with the factory fuel pump. Even has a bigger mikuni round slide carb on it I don’t get it.
The same engine in different applications can act differently, especially the fuel supply. If the fuel supply hose on one cart is at the bottom of the tank, it can act differently than one with a hose that comes from the top of the tank. Gravity has a lot to do with that, as well as the length of the supply hose on the suction side and the amount of bends in the hose. It's called "head pressure". There are calculations for it but the basics are this. The closer the fuel tank is to the engine the better. An elevated fuel tank is always better than one below the engine. A bottom mounted fuel pickup is better than a top mounted one. And an electric pump is better than a vacuum pump if there is a lot of head pressure.

Also, some pumps are better pushers than pullers, and some vice versa. If you convert to an electric pump, make sure you read if it's a pusher or a puller, meaning:
pusher = likes to be mounted near the tank and pushes fuel toward the engine,
puller = likes to be mounted near the engine and pulls the fuel from the tank.

No electric fuel pumps do both well, it's either one or the other. Some vehicles have both types of pumps.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:28 AM   #13
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
How long was the run? I’m getting about 3 miles /10 minutes before the bowl runs dry currently. We’re you wide open for awhile when they cut out?
In my case it was about 4 miles @5000 + rpms on a 90 degree + day. Shepard's case was similar but I don't have his exact details. On page 33 of my Vc 460 thread he tells his tale of fuel pump woe.One other note here is when I was using the Gen 1 VC 460 with the stock cam the stock pump was OK but adding the torque cam,heavy head porting and adjustable main jet on the carb the troubles started. On the Gen 1 I was getting 60-65 MPG and the modded Gen 3 more like 40-45 MPG.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:48 AM   #14
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
The same engine in different applications can act differently, especially the fuel supply. If the fuel supply hose on one cart is at the bottom of the tank, it can act differently than one with a hose that comes from the top of the tank. Gravity has a lot to do with that, as well as the length of the supply hose on the suction side and the amount of bends in the hose. It's called "head pressure". There are calculations for it but the basics are this. The closer the fuel tank is to the engine the better. An elevated fuel tank is always better than one below the engine. A bottom mounted fuel pickup is better than a top mounted one. And an electric pump is better than a vacuum pump if there is a lot of head pressure.

Also, some pumps are better pushers than pullers, and some vice versa. If you convert to an electric pump, make sure you read if it's a pusher or a puller, meaning:
pusher = likes to be mounted near the tank and pushes fuel toward the engine,
puller = likes to be mounted near the engine and pulls the fuel from the tank.

No electric fuel pumps do both well, it's either one or the other. Some vehicles have both types of pumps.
The setups in both carts were the same: stock tank, stock fuel pump, pulse from carb isolator. Same size lines, same filters, 1 check valve just before carb to keep prime. Stock fuel pickup from bottom of tank.
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:52 AM   #15
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
The setups in both carts were the same: stock tank, stock fuel pump, pulse from carb isolator. Same size lines, same filters, 1 check valve just before carb to keep prime. Stock fuel pickup from bottom of tank.
You can also try a Briggs fuel pump, they are designed to work with engines up to 23 hp. I've always had good luck with them in all the engines I've used, including the built 460. Briggs always mounts their pumps on the engine near the valve cover, that means they are designed as a "puller" pump. If you go that route make a little bracket where you can mount the pump up on the engine, maybe next to the valve cover? On my 460 I had mine up on top of the engine on a plate (kinda like the photo). Most built clone racing engines are setup like this due to the weak vacuum pulse in these engines from the cams and head work.

If you go the electric route, make sure you plumb a return line into the fuel line. It needs to be as close to the carb as you can get it and a smaller diameter fuel hose, that way you maintain pressure in the main line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fuel pump.jpeg (110.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump 2.jpg (87.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump mounting.jpg (225.6 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps