lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2021, 07:05 PM   #11
snowwjob1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 5kW motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
I ordered a 5KW one too a while ago 😂 but mine comes this week or next lol. I didn't want to say anything on the forums because I have too many golf carts.
Guessing you bought it from La Jolla golf cart. That is were I got mine. Would be interested in your help on some programming when it arrives.

What battery set up did you go with. Decided to go with the 8 6 volt AGM batteries. Wasn't ready to spend 3500 on lithium ION.
snowwjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2021, 09:53 PM   #12
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwjob1 View Post
Guessing you bought it from La Jolla golf cart. That is were I got mine. Would be interested in your help on some programming when it arrives.

What battery set up did you go with. Decided to go with the 8 6 volt AGM batteries. Wasn't ready to spend 3500 on lithium ION.
8 AGM's in i40L as well. I've already bought all my accessories and I'm just waiting on the cart this or next week. Don't mention me to them though because I don't want them figuring out I told everyone how to make programming cables.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:07 AM   #13
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Atrain congrats on your new cart

Particularly on choosing agms....the unsung heros..

Which brand did you get and amp hour size?

Be sure you get the correct profiles for the agms...

A Summitt II 650 charger fried my first set of agms...
though it had been set to the correct profile...

Best wishes..
Happy cartin
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #14
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
Atrain congrats on your new cart

Particularly on choosing agms....the unsung heros..

Which brand did you get and amp hour size?

Be sure you get the correct profiles for the agms...

A Summitt II 650 charger fried my first set of agms...
though it had been set to the correct profile...

Best wishes..
Happy cartin
Honestly no clue. I'll find out when the cart shows up.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #15
Douglam
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Does anyone have the 5kW motor and any experience with it?

Called the dealer and confirmed the placards on the CA carts now say 5kW.
I just purchased a cart (i40l) in Tampa Florida and it appears they are still using 4kw motors here. I asked the dealer and they said they had heard nothing about a switch to 5kw. Atrain, do you have any information about this in regards to if they are only using the bigger motor in certain areas? I attempted to contact icon but only get a generic vmail using the number on their site.
Douglam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:50 AM   #16
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglam View Post
I just purchased a cart (i40l) in Tampa Florida and it appears they are still using 4kw motors here. I asked the dealer and they said they had heard nothing about a switch to 5kw. Atrain, do you have any information about this in regards to if they are only using the bigger motor in certain areas? I attempted to contact icon but only get a generic vmail using the number on their site.
I've heard "California carts" get 5kw because of the hills through various people, but I personally haven't heard directly from ICON, but I'd suggest just giving them a call and asking. I just bought a 2021 I40L in CA and it did come with the 5kw and 450amp controller.

ICON has 2 factories. One in FL and one in AZ. I would guess that carts coming out of AZ have the newer motor/controller and carts in FL are using the older.

The AZ factory is very new, so I would also guess that it is possible FL has plenty of stock of the 4kw motors and may just be using the rest of that inventory before switching them to 5kw carts. TOTAL guess on that though, but it would make sense to me. Especially since the word is out some carts have 5kw motors, so people in FL are going to say "gimme the big one".
Old 07-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #17
Douglam
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I've heard "California carts" get 5kw because of the hills through various people, but I personally haven't heard directly from ICON, but I'd suggest just giving them a call and asking. I just bought a 2021 I40L in CA and it did come with the 5kw and 450amp controller.

ICON has 2 factories. One in FL and one in AZ. I would guess that carts coming out of AZ have the newer motor/controller and carts in FL are using the older.

The AZ factory is very new, so I would also guess that it is possible FL has plenty of stock of the 4kw motors and may just be using the rest of that inventory before switching them to 5kw carts. TOTAL guess on that though, but it would make sense to me. Especially since the word is out some carts have 5kw motors, so people in FL are going to say "gimme the big one".
I was able to get in contact with a rep and he stated the 5kw is available anywhere but Is an upgrade and price increase. Carts shipped to cali and AZ are all getting it by default due to the hills but due to the topagraphy the default option for FL carts is the 4kw unless it’s the i20U which gets the 5kw. Hopefully I don’t have any issues with the 4kw. Many hills where I’m at in FL but they do exist.
Douglam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #18
johnsonca2
Not Yet Wild

I bought my I40L a month ago, I’m in Tx, just NW of Houston. I checked mine, it’s the 5kw motor w/450amp controller. Not sure that location matters, it’s as flat as a table in this part of the country.
johnsonca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:30 PM   #19
StracDnomyar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglam View Post
I was able to get in contact with a rep and he stated the 5kw is available anywhere but Is an upgrade and price increase. Carts shipped to cali and AZ are all getting it by default due to the hills but due to the topagraphy the default option for FL carts is the 4kw unless it’s the i20U which gets the 5kw. Hopefully I don’t have any issues with the 4kw. Many hills where I’m at in FL but they do exist.
I'm curious what the upgrade cost is. I'm 2 months in and live in flat as hell FL but I would be tempted to get the 5kw motor when I upgrade to lithium in 2-3yrs. Would love to be able to fit 6 adults with no slowdown lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
StracDnomyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #20
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by StracDnomyar View Post
I'm curious what the upgrade cost is. I'm 2 months in and live in flat as hell FL but I would be tempted to get the 5kw motor when I upgrade to lithium in 2-3yrs. Would love to be able to fit 6 adults with no slowdown lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I honestly think the problem is primarily battery voltage sag and possibly the controller.

If you just did lithium, you'd probably be happy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon