lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
GCEV
Not Yet Wild
Star

Default How to Increase Speed on Star LSV?

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2018 lifted Star 6 seater LSV. I am curious if there is a way to make the cart a bit faster... We currently top out around 23-25 mph on a flat road (up hill tends to be ~18ish). Is there a way to increase the top speed? We previously had a lifted EZGO RXV, and the AC motor did great up hills. There also seemed to be a dozen or so different ways to increase the speed, I haven't been successful finding any forums on how to increase speed on the Star carts? If it's a motor or controller upgrade, is there a specific manufacturer/ model?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, comments or suggestions!
GCEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
servpro
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: How to Increase Speed on Star LSV?

I would start with a controller programming change (easiest), however going any faster might require you to upgrade your breaking system. The cart was designed for a top speed of 25. There was a post about how to change the settings using a curtis programmer (google it).
servpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

Agreed, I started with a programmer and was able to improve the acceleration, braking, and top speed a bit. I also upgraded my 400 amp Curtis controller to the 500 version along with a larger solenoid and 2awg battery cables. This all helped but I ultimately ended up installing a new motor to get the performance I was looking for. I wish I had a little bit more torque up hills but its always a tradeoff. Speed or torque...

I run 30mph on flat ground with a fresh charge and about 20 when climbing a hill. This is with one or two people. It seems to slow a bit after things have heated up.
Mbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
GCEV
Not Yet Wild
Star

servpro and Mbop

Thank you both for your replies. A programming change seems to be a bit outside of my technical ability. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but when it comes to computers or coding/ programming, I'm not sure I trust myself... And in chatting with the local dealer, they didn't seem to think I would gain much more speed (if any) by reprogramming since I'm already running at 25mph (or perhaps they just didn't want to do the work?)

Did you reprogram your controllers yourself or did someone do it professionally?

As for controller, solenoid and motor upgrades, do you recommend any one in particular?

thanks again for your time and advice.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:36 PM   #5
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

You may be able to get a bit more with programming but had to say without knowing what your current parameters are. I did it myself, its not as challenging as it may seam. If you have a Curtis 1268 the manuals are readily available online.

I have a motor from EMP (Electrical Motor Products) and had an overall good experience but at the end I wasn't able to get in touch with the owner. You can also try Plum Quick and D&D motors.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:48 AM   #6
GCEV
Not Yet Wild
Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbop View Post
You may be able to get a bit more with programming but had to say without knowing what your current parameters are. I did it myself, its not as challenging as it may seam. If you have a Curtis 1268 the manuals are readily available online.

I have a motor from EMP (Electrical Motor Products) and had an overall good experience but at the end I wasn't able to get in touch with the owner. You can also try Plum Quick and D&D motors.

Mbop- did you use the 1313 programmer to reprogram your controller? The local dealer told me that I am maxed out, but I’m wondering if dealers have their own parameters that they will not exceed, and perhaps if I have my own I can squeeze a few mph more.

I swapped the gears from 12:1 to 10:1 and there was little to no difference in top speed....
Old 03-19-2021, 10:02 PM   #7
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

Yes, it was a 1313 handheld programmer
Old 03-20-2021, 07:28 AM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just my 2 cents worth here. Keep in mind that Low Speed Vehicle is a legally defined category. One part of that is the maximum 25 mph capability. Private owners can get away with some modifications on their own, that nobody may ever question. However, if a business modifies a LSV to exceed that defined speed, then there is a speed involved incident / accident , the business could be on the hook for damages. That same customer who is thrilled with his 35 mph cart today, may be the first one to throw you under the bus tomorrow.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:17 AM   #9
GCEV
Not Yet Wild
Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbop View Post
Yes, it was a 1313 handheld programmer
Where did you buy yours? And would you be interested in selling it?
Old 03-30-2021, 10:43 PM   #10
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

I rented the handheld. There are multiple online retailers, MRK Sales is one of them. Their rental policy is a bit strange but they have multiple on loan.

Tags
controller upgrade, motor upgrade, speed increase, star ev
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay