lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
HAPPYVALLEY
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 ezgo workhorse 1000 differential help

I believe I have an issue with my rear differential, but I am no expert.

On jacks, With the tires off, both axels and hubs will spin, but when I put tires n the wheels cannot spin.

Just prior to it breaking down, I was hear from a strange metal like noise that is hard for me to describe.

I have inspected the splines on the axels and hubs and they appear fine. I have replaced the hubs on both sides within the last few years due to the hubs splines being stripped down.

I have not taken the brakes axels or differential off yet in hopes someone can tell me that they don't think it's the differential.

Any thoughts on why else it could be?

Also, I am having trouble figuring out what the replacement part for the differential is. The part number in my manual does not appear to be found on the inter webs when I Search for it.

I did perform a 48v upgrade around 3 months ago that I thought could have contributed to the demise of the differential.IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

Thanks for any help and assistance anyone can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HAPPYVALLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
ORTitan
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 ezgo workhorse 1000 differential help

If the hubs are fine then the next easiest step is to remove the motor and check the splines of the motor and the transmission input shaft.

If those are OK then you will need to dig deeper.
ORTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
HAPPYVALLEY
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORTitan View Post
If the hubs are fine then the next easiest step is to remove the motor and check the splines of the motor and the transmission input shaft.

If those are OK then you will need to dig deeper.

Ok I took off the motor and the motor and the transmission inputs appear to be fine.

This was expected on the motor side as it is a new D&D motor.

Pictures below.

Anyone have thoughts on next steps ???

Thanks !!!!

IMG_1855.jpgIMG_1856.jpg

Old 08-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There are 5 set of splines between motor and wheels, you've only checked 3 of them.

The other two are between the axles and the differential cluster.

Also, a broken rear axle could cause the symptoms you have, as well as a stripped gear or a gear slipping on its shaft. (Some of the gears are pinned,while others are only press fit.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #5
HAPPYVALLEY
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
There are 5 set of splines between motor and wheels, you've only checked 3 of them.

The other two are between the axles and the differential cluster.

Also, a broken rear axle could cause the symptoms you have, as well as a stripped gear or a gear slipping on its shaft. (Some of the gears are pinned,while others are only press fit.)

Ok thanks for this. I am out of my league here but I think you are telling me to keep taking the stuff apart checking both ends of the axels where they connect to the differential.

I have not done this before but I am fairly good at taking stuff apart. Getting it back together using all of the nuts and bolts that came off is a totally different story.

I will see if I can find a thread that describes how to do this and will report back when I am done.

Thanks for the continued support!

Old 08-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I also seem to end up with extra nuts, bolts and thingies when putting stuff back together.

Here is a good thread on taking a differential apart. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post658807

and there are some other here and there.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO