Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration
Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2017, 02:51 AM   #1
bkn101
Not Yet Wild

Default wanting to put 420cc motor in 72 cushman

new to the forum also new to old golf carts. i recently bought a 72 cushman gc 400 guy said it was running last time he messed with it but the starter isnt working or wiring is all wrong. i was thinking of making it simpler and just putting a new 420 cc engine in it. from what i have read the drive clutch is threaded on. where can i find a matching clutch i can put on the new motor. or will old one still work on new motor? photo has shaft info on new motor. i have yet to get drive clutch off old motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69736_zzz_alt3_500_2.jpg (105.4 KB, 0 views)
bkn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: wanting to put 420cc motor in 72 cushman

I can't help you with the clutches but, personally, I think it would be much easier to get a starter working / troubleshoot wiring than it would to get a new motor and getting the clutches to align and synchronize right.

I have a '68 GC 400 but it's electric so I can't help specifically with your cart. That said, I have 3 other vintage gas carts and, really, with those older ones there isn't much to them. Getting the starter to spin should be pretty easy.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #3
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Hi and Welcome to BGW! In looking at your attachment I have good news and bad news. The good news is that it appears to be a standard 1 inch shaft that the clutch slides onto, because it has a key-way. You may be looking at the thread size for the bolt on the end of the shaft that holds the clutch onto the shaft. If you have not removed that yet, then soak it for awhile with some penetrating oil and then remove it. Your clutch should then slide straight off. You may want to soak that too. The bad news is that clutch, although it may fit the new 420 it will probably not perform well because of it's age, design and setup. The way to get all the power and performance these engines are capable of is properly working clutches, so don't skimp on those. Hope this helps!
And I agree with Lochlin, spend some time figuring out how to get what you have running and take it form there..........
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
fatb2
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

The shaft on the original motor is tapered. You would be better off just getting a new clutch if you go with a new motor. You can fit a 420cc in there it is just a tight fit. I will post some pictures of the one I am working on tomorrow to give you some ideas on the fun you are looking at doing.
fatb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
fatb2
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Here are some pics of a 420 predator fitted into a Gc400. It is still a work in progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170722_155849.jpg (157.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170722_155837.jpg (171.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170722_155900.jpg (149.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170722_155827.jpg (162.7 KB, 0 views)
fatb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #6
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatb2 View Post
Here are some pics of a 420 predator fitted into a Gc400. It is still a work in progress.
Nice fab work on this one.
Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #7
Jshark21
Not Yet Wild

Does that cart have a 2speed rear end?
Jshark21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #8
seetnas
Not Yet Wild

Bumping this. Been doing some research on doing this swap and this is by far the best information I have came across. Those pictures gave me confidence that the engine will fit. Biggest issue I haven't figured out yet is the drive clutch adapting to the factory Cushman driven clutch. With the belt being 1 3/16 wide. I would use a 780 series drive clutch? In my head this works. Just wanting to run this across the experts in here to make sure I am not missing something here. I will gladly take pictures of the build!

Currently waiting/hoping that the Lifan 420 with the charging coil goes on sale sometime soon as I have some gift cards from Home Depot.

Any insight you're willing to share would be greatly appreciated. My GC400 was purchased with the factory Koehler having no compression. Hoping for a stuck valve but wasn't that lucky... The rod broke and took the crank with it. No interest in redoing a motor with 8hp.

The gearbox and rear end look to be robust enough to handle the additional power.
seetnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #9
seetnas
Not Yet Wild

Bump ^^^. Got my engine. Lifan 420.
seetnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:11 PM   #10
foodplot
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Did you ever purchase a drive clutch or a clutch set? I recently purchased a set for a cart I did using the same Cushman transaxle I believe. Mine has the 15.6 rear end ratio so I went with a 780 series drive and a 770 series driven clutch (Comet). With 22 inch tires and a 12 HP Tecumseh engine, this gives me 20 mph, but the engine is not at max RPM so should get a few more MPH's once I tweak it in. You may have the 790 series driven clutch on yours, which is the larger diameter I believe (about 10"). If it is, you top end may be disappointing if you have a single speed rearend with the ratio mine had. That's why I went with the smaller 770 series driven clutch for more top end.
foodplot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushman gc400, drive clutch, new motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration