lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
SARWildJr85
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1983 Junker to Farm/Hunting Machine

I just got my first cart, and boy, am I excited. The problem is that I know there's a lot that i don't know. I have some rust, so I know I need to tear it down for a good sandblasting and painting. It gets hung up and stuck around the chickens house, so I need a lift kit and tires. It doesn't have room to tote stuff around, so I need a bed and front basket. I've been looking around the net, and I've found a lot of very interesting stuff, but I've got a few questions. Also, I'm sure that many of you much more experienced folks will have a few ideas that I haven't even thought of. I want to put the tallest possible lift/tire combination, but what's the best combo to go with and will the cart be able to pull itself if I do all that. I figure I need new shocks and springs for my intended purpose, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, so any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
SARWildJr85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
SARWildJr85
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1983 Junker to Farm/Hunting Machine

I got to looking at the buggy today, and I got an idea. It looks like you could cut the back shackle mount off of the frame and reweld lower for a good bit of lift. Has anyone ever tried this? I know I might need longer springs, but I'll have to get new springs anyway.
Also, am I gonna need offset wheels for bigger mud tires?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
SARWildJr85
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I got to looking at the buggy today, and I got an idea. It looks like you could cut the back shackle mount off of the frame and reweld lower for a good bit of lift. Has anyone ever tried this? I know I might need longer springs, but I'll have to get new springs anyway.
Also, am I gonna need offset wheels for bigger mud tires?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
SARWildJr85
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

ooops
Old 06-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thought maybe you would like some company in your build thread... looks like nobody else found you yet? But yeah, you can do what we call a shackle lift. I did it to one of my older carts where I had to basically make a front and rear lift because nothing was available... you might be in the same boat?

Here is a before & after Pic of the shackle lifted Melex which is nearly identical to your old Ezgo. Don't go too big on the tires they rob the cart of horsepower... 22" and a 4inch lift is about average and 23" with a 6" lift requires power upgrade... hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0522.JPG (875.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0558.JPG (721.7 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
SARWildJr85
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

How much of a power upgrade are we talking? Cause, I was really thinking about going with 24's. Is that unreasonable?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

24 minus 18 = 6
18 divided by 6 = 3
That would be about a 33% increase in final gear ratio. The torque loss will be about the same percentage. The stock controller is 275 amps you will need a 400amp controller to break even, I hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
SARWildJr85
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Forgive me for being dumb, but before 2 weeks ago, I knew that some golf carts were gas. Some were electric, and all had wheels.
With that in mind, does that mean a new motor, new batteries, or what? I'm sorry for being so ignorant about all this. This is just all new to me. Which is why I joined this forum.

Now, if you want to talk guns, hunting, farming, Jeeps, trucks, or something of that nature, I can hang, but I don't have a clue about carts.
Thanks for all of your help, current and future.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I hear ya, that is the common thing that brings us all here. I know more about other topics than golf carts but those subjects never seem to come up either?

Ideally you would increase the voltage to 48v and that would gain you back the 33% torque and add 33% more speed. Increase the the controller amperage to 4-500amps since you need to change it anyway. You also need to upgrade all cables and the F&R switch. Then go play.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
SARWildJr85
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Could I just add a battery? Or, do I have to replace all of them? I don't know how old they are, but the guy I bought it from said he didn't think they were very old. He has sporting clays range that it was used on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO