lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
rcarden
Not Yet Wild

Default 2007 PDS motor fried

Hello-

Just bought a fleet 2007 PDS 36v EZ-GO for my wife and kids. Ran perfectly...until I decided to clean up the terminals on the batteries and motor. While tightening one of the motor terminals, my wrench touched another terminal on the motor shooting a huge spark.

Unfortunatly, I didn't unhook the power cables nor turn the tow/run switch to "tow" before I started. Now the cart won't move in forward or reverse. I put the cart in diagnosis mode and all I got was the confirmation beep. No fault beeps heard.

I went through diagnosis flowchart (from one of your sticky threads) for the controller, solonoid, and motor. Both the controller and solonoid passed every test with perfect voltage readings. However the motor failed all tests except for some of the continuity tests.

I am new to golf carts, so could you guys give me some ideas as to what my options are in terms of a replacement motor? Can I upgrade to a faster one or one with better torque without changing the battery pack or controller?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Robert
rcarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2007 PDS motor fried

Welcome to bgw. A motor which produces more hp and speed than than the stock motor will need to draw more amperage than the stock motor. I suggest a bigger controller and HD solenoid.

Are you sure the controller is okay? I would think the controller would have been smoked not the motor? Remove the environmental cover & Give it the sniff test.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
rcarden
Not Yet Wild

Thanks scottyb...

I just took a sniff of the controller and didn't smell burnt. I was hoping it was the controller or just a fried wire but all that seems to check out fine when I followed diagnosis flow chart.

I removed the motor and speed sensor wire to see if I could see any damage internally. Is there an easy way to test the motor now that its off the cart?

Not sure if I can connect straight to battery pack....with A1, A2 and F1, F2.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
rcarden
Not Yet Wild

Just bench tested motor and I think it's is a goner.

I plan on adding a lift kit and larger tires in near future. Can I go with an upgraded motor while still using same controller?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 09-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
rcarden
Not Yet Wild

Just wanted to give an update in case another golf cart newbie experienced the same thing I did.

Turns out my motor, which I thought was fried, was fine and the controller was the culprit. I installed a refurb 400A Curtis and it works great.

Seems I was hooked up to test a series motor and not regen so it obviously didnt work. Once I figured it out, the motor tested fine.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO