lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #21
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: g16 smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarch42 View Post
ok dave. the motor is out.... i took the head off , the exhaust valve was nasty... and there was a small puddle of oil on the top of the piston..and the spark plug look like a plug that was in a motor that was using oil.....now..if you would walk me threw this..it would be great...the clutch has to come off/.... the big nut..is it right hand threed..??? impact wrench??? it won`t come off....and i need a tool , after i get the nut off..right??? and then ............................ talk to me...\
p.s. thanks ahead of time....
Actually the clutch is heald on with a "bolt", Like "GP" says use a impact and it is "counterclockwise" to remove. Like "GP" says you will need a special "puller tool" to get the clutch assy off the crankshaft. Do you have a Yamaha golf car dealer close ? Many times "do it yourselfers" will bring the engine in and have me get the clutch off for them and if there buying the rebuild parts,I don't charge anything to do it. It really only takes a second to do it. Now you have your clutch off, Take the side case cover bolts out and "gently" pry or tap the side case from the block. I say this because the "timing marks for cam and balancer are "not all that good", so if you can keep the cam and balancer in the block, you can make your own marks for reassembly. Take out the balancer and cam and lifters. Unbolt the rod bolts, the rod cap has a oil spasher and you must make shure it goes on the way it came off ! Now tap out the piston and rod (may be harder than you think because of "ringridge" at the top of the cylinder bore). Clean the cylinder of oil and "hone" it. Any "score markes or "gouges" ? Is the piston "gouged/scraping" marks on the side skirts ? If not, I think the oil rings colapsed and just a "standard" ring set and hone would do the job. If scoring or gouges...oversized pisto/rings and a bore to the cylinder is needed. My advantage is, I can hone the cylider and check the "ring end gap" with a new set of standard rings to make my decission ! Hope this helped (alittle) and will post more if needed. Let me know. Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #22
emarch42
Not Yet Wild

wow , thanks dave...now that is how you give directions..i like when some tells me in detail.....and the tricks...like the case cove...without messing up the cam... i would be asking you...``hey ...where are the timing marks" lol...ok..i am getting the parts tommorow...i will keep in in touch.of what is going on..i really apreciate the help...\
thanks,Manny
emarch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #23
emarch42
Not Yet Wild

hey dave...ok... now your saying just wire brush all the crap off... and then lap the valves...?? talk to me on the ..english....please....now the valve guides??? is that what you are saying ?? valve stems??? talk to me..
thanks,Manny
Old 05-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #24
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
hey dave...ok... now your saying just wire brush all the crap off... and then lap the valves...?? talk to me on the ..english....please....now the valve guides??? is that what you are saying ?? valve stems??? talk to me..
thanks,Manny
I thought I was speaking "English" ! Go to the auto parts store and pick up a round wire wheel (that you can stick in your drill) about 2 to 3 inches wide and pick up some valve "laping compond", theres coarse and fine grit, I would go with fine (the auto parts guy should help you finding it. First, leave the valves in place, and use the wire wheel to get as much "carbon and gunk out of the combustion chamber. Now get the vales out (as described before), get all the carbon and gunk off the (head /behind the head and the valve stems of each valve) don't "grind" the stuff off, just wire wheel it off. Now for valve guides...I have "never" found the need to replace valve guides on a G16. It really is a machinists type job any way. (If you want to know why...Another post) Take your lapping compound and aply some to the valve "face" that "mates" with the (cylinder) "valve seat". I use an cordless drill attatched at the upper valve stem (with enough room to be able to move the valve up an down a 1/4 inch or so), This doesnt take long. Whipe off the lapping compond on both valve and seat and you should see a nice "shiny/flat" mating surface on both. Now (if you haven't already) "pry off the valve stem seal off the intake side valve guide. install new seals on "both" guides. Put alittle oil on the seals and insert the valves and springs and retainers. I hope this helps...My fingers are tired!!!!! Good luck Dave
Old 05-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #25
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Great posts Dave, make me wish I had a yamaha.
I know the 'theory applies to any make.'
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #26
emarch42
Not Yet Wild

thanks dave...ok.. motor is apart... now i got new rings...and i did not ask which one is top and which one is 2nd (i know the oil ones) there is a yellow mark and a green mark,, they are oem, to be honost the rings looked good... not a good sign..but what was intresthing was there looked like 2 good long ..i don`t know cracks.??? in the cylnder wall...i honed it and they came out.... i don`t know..i hope this thing stops smoking./....
Old 05-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #27
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
thanks dave...ok.. motor is apart... now i got new rings...and i did not ask which one is top and which one is 2nd (i know the oil ones) there is a yellow mark and a green mark,, they are oem, to be honost the rings looked good... not a good sign..but what was intresthing was there looked like 2 good long ..i don`t know cracks.??? in the cylnder wall...i honed it and they came out.... i don`t know..i hope this thing stops smoking./....
Good job! Just for giggles stick one of the old compression rings into the cylinder and use the piston to get it at a 90 degree angle about 1/2 inch into the bore. Use a feeler gauge, whats the ring end gap ? Take one of the new compression rings and do the same test, What messurement differance did you find ? In my opinion...your oil rings colapsed/wore out, allowing oil to get up into the combustion area. Take a look at the old oil rings compared to the new ones, I bet to old ones are "thiner". Glad to hear the groves came out of the cylinder with honing. The new ring end gap should be within tolerances (look for specs in previuos post) if they are I'll post the correct ring alignment procedure. I am 95 % shure these rebuilding steps will cure your smoking problem. Later Dave
Old 05-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Dang! I shoulda bought a Yami...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:39 AM   #29
emarch42
Not Yet Wild

hey dave thanks...ok..now ..i messed up a few things...i did not mark which push rod came from which side..also the lifters...( a bit excided when i was taking it apart) does it really mater??? ok..also again...green dot and yellow dot...which ring goes where???? help:
Old 05-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #30
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Dang! I shoulda bought a Yami...
I don't think thats necessary ! You have a good car. Yes these princables are the same for a Clubcar engine, just specs and "tips" would be differant. Like I said...I'm not a Clubcar expert by any stretch of the amagination. What i'd really like to hear.....Your buying a Big Block!!!!!!!

Last edited by smallblock450sl; 05-31-2008 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: can't spell worth cr*p!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha