lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
mototim
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO 36v series with new batteries is very slow

Hi everyone, this one has me stumped! I picked this 2006 Ezgo TXT up at auction with no batteries. I believe it was used indoors in a factory as there is no rust and very good shape. I installed new Crown batteries and now it runs nice and smooth but is very slow. Here is what I have found so far:

Battery pack voltage (no load) 37.56v
Controller (no load)
B+ - B- = 36.90v
B+ - M- = 0v
B- - M- = 36.71V

Controller (jacked up and full throttle)
B+ - B- = 36.33v
B+ - M- = 26.24v
B- - M- = 10v

ITS check
Black=14.06v (solenoid activated)
White=0.53v (solenoid activated)
White=1.3v (full throttle)

I believe I should see 1.5v-1.7v on the white at full throttle so I installed a known good ITS but nothing changed.
I happened to have a good controller so I installed it and again no change.
I checked for voltage at the orange wire and there's 0v there.
I seem to be missing 10 volts output from the controller at full throttle.
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be as detailed as possible. Am I missing something??
Thanks in advance!
mototim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #2
Sideways
Gone Wild

Default Re: EZGO 36v series with new batteries is very slow

More knowledgeable people will chime in but you will need to fully charge your batteries. At 37.5v they are only 80% charged. (use the chart below as a reference)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (42.1 KB, 0 views)
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #3
mototim
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
More knowledgeable people will chime in but you will need to fully charge your batteries. At 37.5v they are only 80% charged. (use the chart below as a reference)
Thank you Sideways. I will charge them up but it still doesn't explain the missing 10 volts...
Old 11-21-2021, 03:51 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Attached is a SoC chart for Crown brand batteries, the one posted above is for Trojan brand batteries, but regardless of brand new batteries need to be fully charged prior to first use and the first charge may take up to 20 hours or more, so you may have to restart the charger since they have a backup timer that shuts off at about 16 hours.

The ITS voltage is determined by the controller and drive type wasn't mentioned. Is it a series drive or a PDS? (They have different ITS voltages)

The first set (no load) of battery & controller voltages and ITS voltages, should be taken when pedal is pushed just far enough to make solenoid click. Battery pack voltage and B- to B+ voltage and B- to M- ought to be the same value.

The second set (pedal on floor) ought to include battery pack voltage (under load) and B- to B+ ought to be the same. B- to M- ought to be 0V.

ITS voltages should be measured at the controller.

The missing 10V isn't really missing, it is just not being passed by the controller. Could be the ITS voltage is out of specs, or the controller might be working right, but will have to know which controller to be sure.

If it is a series drive, there is an in-line connector between pedal box and controller that cause ITS issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crown SoC chart.jpg (208.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
mototim
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Attached is a SoC chart for Crown brand batteries, the one posted above is for Trojan brand batteries, but regardless of brand new batteries need to be fully charged prior to first use and the first charge may take up to 20 hours or more, so you may have to restart the charger since they have a backup timer that shuts off at about 16 hours.

The ITS voltage is determined by the controller and drive type wasn't mentioned. Is it a series drive or a PDS? (They have different ITS voltages)

The first set (no load) of battery & controller voltages and ITS voltages, should be taken when pedal is pushed just far enough to make solenoid click. Battery pack voltage and B- to B+ voltage and B- to M- ought to be the same value.

The second set (pedal on floor) ought to include battery pack voltage (under load) and B- to B+ ought to be the same. B- to M- ought to be 0V.

ITS voltages should be measured at the controller.

The missing 10V isn't really missing, it is just not being passed by the controller. Could be the ITS voltage is out of specs, or the controller might be working right, but will have to know which controller to be sure.

If it is a series drive, there is an in-line connector between pedal box and controller that cause ITS issues.
Sorry, I mentioned it was a series in the title but should've said it was a series drive in the text body as well. I will charge it overnight but right now pack voltage is sitting at 37.74 volts so pretty good according to the chart.
I also neglected to mention that I originally installed a good used set of batteries in it and it was exactly the same as it is now.

Readings with solenoid engaged:
Battery pack= 37.74v
B+ to B- = 37.3v
B- to M- = 35.3v
White ITS = 0.55v

Pedal to floor:
Battery pack= 36.7v
B+ to B- = 36.3v
B- to M- = 9.3v
White ITS = 1.32v

So after replacing the ITS and controller with know good parts and the B- to M- only dropping to 9.3v at full throttle, what would my next step be? Thanks!
Old 11-21-2021, 06:20 PM   #6
mototim
Not Yet Wild

I checked the connector between ITS and controller. Looks clean and dry. Also checked voltage at ITS under floor mat and it is the same as what I found at the controller.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Oops, I missed the word "series" in the title.

The ITS voltages are out of specs, so the PWM output from the controller isn't going to 100% duty cycle. Looks like you're only getting about 74.4% duty cycle.

Attached are the ITS voltage tests for a 2006 series drive. Yours fails the first step. (Step 23)

Disconnect the in-line connector and do Step-24. If it is out of range and you are using known good controller and ITS sensor, eliminate the in-line connector with individual butt-splices or solder joints covered with marine grade (adhesive filled) shrink tubing.

That connector can look good and still cause all sorts of ITS issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ITS Voltage - 4.jpg (88.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ITS Voltage - 2.jpg (48.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ITS Voltage - 3.jpg (44.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-22-2021, 12:42 AM   #8
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:

Disconnect the in-line connector and do Step-24. If it is out of range and you are using known good controller and ITS sensor, eliminate the in-line connector with individual butt-splices or solder joints covered with marine grade (adhesive filled) shrink tubing.
Definitely do this! I was having problems with a medalist not wanting to go half the time. I replaced almost everything on the cart..microswitches, ITS, solenoid, conrroller, f&r... only to find out that little molex connector was corroded in 1 terminal and wasn't making contact causing all of my issues. Eliminate that altogether by using the method posted above.
DubK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:57 PM   #9
mototim
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Oops, I missed the word "series" in the title.

The ITS voltages are out of specs, so the PWM output from the controller isn't going to 100% duty cycle. Looks like you're only getting about 74.4% duty cycle.

Attached are the ITS voltage tests for a 2006 series drive. Yours fails the first step. (Step 23)

That connector can look good and still cause all sorts of ITS issues.
Thanks for the info, I will check this when I get home from work. Just curious how pin 2 will have any voltage when the 4 pin connector is disconnected? With it disconnected the solenoid won't get the signal from the micro switch, therefore the controller won't power up pin 2. Am I correct in my thinking or am I missing something??
Either way I will delete the 4 pin connector tonight and see what happens.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:46 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototim View Post
------------------
Just curious how pin 2 will have any voltage when the 4 pin connector is disconnected? With it disconnected the solenoid won't get the signal from the micro switch, therefore the controller won't power up pin 2. Am I correct in my thinking or am I missing something??
------------------
You're right, with the in-line connector disconnected the controller (whose electronics are in parallel with the solenoid coil) won't power up. Not the first error I've seen is an EZGO troubleshooting tree.

Try jumpering pack voltage to the solenoid coil terminal with the red wires on it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO