lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Hmmmm123
Not Yet Wild

Default Smoking EZGO

I just bought a 2003 Gas EZGO. Took it out yesterday for the first time & it started missing a little & smoking a thick white smoke while on the golf course. Made it home OK & today it seems fine. What could it be?
Hmmmm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Smoking EZGO

So it only smoked for a little bit? Is it lifted?
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
Hmmmm123
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for trying to help. It has not been lifted. It had been sitting up since last summer, do you think it is the gas? Maybe it was stale or had water?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Hmmmm123, I think what ruredy was trying to dermine is whether the cart smoked for a little ways and quit smoking or if smokes all the time no matter what? Uphill / downhill/ after idle / upon startup? We need more info to be able to help. Just reread your post..Sounds like it smokes ALL the time in which case you may be looking at an engine rebuild?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

My guess is your engine is sucking in oil, that's what causing the mis-fire and the smoke. If you have to much oil in the engine it will do this on steeper uphills or down hills. I would change the oil and only add 1.5 quarts of a good 10w30. along with the other general maintenance items, filters, plugs, ect. I'm sure it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the gas but I don't think it would cause the thick white smoke you decribe. It would be nice if you would let us know if it's smoking all the time or just did that then stopped smoking
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Hmmmm123
Not Yet Wild

Only smokes & misses going up steep hill, no smoking or missing on level ground. Checked the air filter & did see engine oil in bottom of filter compartment. The engine oil level checks perfect.

Last edited by Hmmmm123; 02-12-2008 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: Addition of last sentence
Old 02-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is possible that ruredy is right about your oil level and you have the wrong dipstick - won't be the first time?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
carolinasled
Dum Spiro Spero

Hmmmm123, Sounds like its only smoking under pressure, Maybe a blown headgasket or cracked in the head, Isnt oil blue smoke? I thought coolant was white smoke. Maybe I'm wrong.
carolinasled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
Hmmmm123
Not Yet Wild

I appreciate all of your help, guys, this is my first gas EZGO. If the weather holds out, I'll take your advice change the oil this weekend. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #10
caddymankc
WILD

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinasled View Post
Hmmmm123, Sounds like its only smoking under pressure, Maybe a blown headgasket or cracked in the head, Isnt oil blue smoke? I thought coolant was white smoke. Maybe I'm wrong.
Your right but these engines are air cooled so there is no coolant.
caddymankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO