lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
Rob Laz
Not Yet Wild

Default Light kit dilemma

Hello all: I bought a light kit for my 2008 CC precedent and a bucket harness since its a 2008. After I installed it and turned it on, the right headlight blew right away but the other bulbs were ok but not lit. However, the tail lights work fine. I followed the installation instructions i found online which say to connect it to my No. 3 battery (I have 4- 12volt batteries). When I called the company I bought the light kit from, they told me that I should have connected it to the No. 4 battery. They said the no. 3 battery would have had 36 volts but the no. 4 would only have 12 volts. They sent me a replacement bulb but now I am afraid the no. 4 battery would have 48 volts. Wouldn't it make more sense to connect it to the no. 1 battery if I want 12 volts on the bulbs? (the headlight bulbs are 12 volts). I want to make sure I am connecting it right before I blow another bulb.
Rob Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Default Re: Light kit dilemma

Easiest solution, get a 48v-12v reducer
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree long term the 48-12v converter is the best option, just make sure you get a 20amp or more.

To wire it for now, just use common sense, if Your negative wire is connected to pack negative, which is the only battery negative post that is not connected to another battery, then the positive post on that same battery would be +12v.

I am guessing you are not counting the battery position number from the same side as the vendor.

Just as a caution, if you are not sure about some electrical connection you are trying to make, ask before connecting, You don't want to make a mistake on the high current cables.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
Rob Laz
Not Yet Wild

thanks guys. i think i will get a voltage reducer. sergio, i count the first battery on the passenger side as no. 1. that is where the first positive lead from the cart is connected to. is this the 12 volt battery i should be tapping to pull 12 volts?
Old 01-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
flkeysdude359
Gone Wild
Club Car

Can't the 12v location/position be verified with a digital voltmeter...??
flkeysdude359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkeysdude359 View Post
Can't the 12v location/position be verified with a digital voltmeter...??
Sure, but drawing from one battery will create an imbalance in the pack
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

CC Precedent from factory uses #4 battery as the 12 volt source for the factory light kit... BUT... do yourself a favor and get a quality 48/12 converter and use that as your 12 volt source since it will draw from all 4 batteries and not just one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery_disconnect.jpg (259.1 KB, 0 views)
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you follow my method to determine the pack negative, You don't need a voltmeter.

I would personally count battery #1 as being the pack negative, but for some reason it appears the golf cart industry counts from the pack positive side.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #9
Rob Laz
Not Yet Wild

thanks to everyone... i will get a voltage reducer but until then i will follow sergio's advice.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car