lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
BDC 21
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 36V to 48V Charger Question

Planning on upgrading a '04 TXT to 48V and know I will need a 48V charger. Will any 48V charger work as long as I convert the plug on the charger to mate with the connector on my cart? Along those lines could I convert the connector on my cart to mate with the charger I buy?

Just a thought I had since there seems to be more 48V chargers on ebay for Club Car or Yamaha.

Thanks
BDC 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36V to 48V Charger Question

I know most all of the aftermarket chargers will work on that conversion as long as you have the same plug!!
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Tisk, tisk. .......ANY golf cart tech worth his salt knows the answer to this Simple question!!!!!!
48 volts is 48 volts. Any 48v charger will work so long as it has a brain. By that. I mean that Club Car 48v Chargers do not have a brain. It is in the cart. You can use any other 48v charger .... Not club car
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

You have to use a fully automatic charger and then make sure you have the right plug. Most of the club car chargers use an OBC to control the battery charger so they won't work. (on board compuer, its part of the cart) You can get a charger for $100 plus...just depends. I dont think you'll find a 48 volt for that price. Every once in a while one will pop up in the for sale section but you gotta be fast.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:02 AM   #5
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Thats what I was wondering, if its a club car battery charger you would need to get the OBC too. I have used Kelly Controller's chargers before on my Honda EV and they are very nice for the price.

check this one out to see if its what you want. 48 volt 15 amp for $199. They come with both plugs also.

http://www.newkellycontroller.com/pr...roducts_id=105
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
BDC 21
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Guys. I thought I read a thread on how to trick the Club Car chargers and bypass the OBC's but could not find it last night.

I feel like a real member of the BGW site now that scottyb gave me a hard time before he answered me!

Merry Christmas to all
BDC 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have one more possability for you folks,Japler/Schauer has a charger that all have a marathon anderson plug end on it and you can get whatever end you need. The crowsfoot,club Car Yamaha,or the txt.It is compatable with all golf cars and will even charge gell batteries.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Cartz View Post
Thats what I was wondering, if its a club car battery charger you would need to get the OBC too. I have used Kelly Controller's chargers before on my Honda EV and they are very nice for the price.

check this one out to see if its what you want. 48 volt 15 amp for $199. They come with both plugs also.

http://www.newkellycontroller.com/pr...roducts_id=105

I have never seen that done but I suppose it's doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC 21 View Post
Thanks Guys. I thought I read a thread on how to trick the Club Car chargers and bypass the OBC's but could not find it last night.

I feel like a real member of the BGW site now that scottyb gave me a hard time before he answered me!

Merry Christmas to all

Yes, you can trick the charger into coming on. You could hard wire the relay so as soon as you plug the A.C. side in the charger come on, you could even wire in a switch to control the relay. Problem with doing that is it's NOT automatic. If you don't watch your charge level you can hurt your batteries real easy because the charger won't shut off.

Scotty's a pretty good guy. If he didn't like ya he wouldn't even speak to ya! WELCOME ABOARD!
Old 12-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
I have never seen that done but I suppose it's doable.

Ya me either but I dont know why it wouldn't work. This seems like one of the more simple and cost effective ways of swapping to 48 volts. I would suppose a 48 volt EZGO charger is pretty hard to come by used.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The way I see it, you either have to find an OBC from a wrecked Club car or buy a new OBC. It might be simple but not very cost effective unless you find one from a wrecked club car.....how many of those do you see around.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!