lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
CanuckCartNewbie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Brake Drum wear on 1978 EZGO

I bought a used 1978 EZGO electric cart and have fixed it up to a point were my kids are having a ball. I have replaced the brake lines, rear leaf springs, introduced my son to the wonders on "bondo", added lights, switch panel, greased up everything, etc, etc. I'll post a pic later if anyone is interested. Anyways, I noticed a rattle in the left driver's side rear wheel when coasting and thought maybe something was loose. I pulled the wheel off and all was ok but what I noted a few months ago is likely the cause of the problem and am now convinced that it is. For some reason, the brake drum is very worn where the 1/4" "key" is (see pic). So much so that even clever welding or McGyvering may be beyond reach. So I decided to look for a new or used brake drum (part #15125-G1) but it seems that this is pretty much impossible to find. I have checked local scrap yards as well and no luck. I can purchase new "splined" drums and other bits and drill new holes in the new drum to make something work but am hoping that someone out there may know where I can find a keyed brake drum (#15125-G1) for my 1978 EZGO cart. I'm up in Canada so pickings are slimmer here :-(

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake_drum_15125-G1.jpg (149.4 KB, 0 views)
CanuckCartNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:10 PM   #2
Starman97
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Brake Drum wear on 1978 EZGO

I've got the same problem, it 'creaks' when driving.
From what I can tell, over the years the taper on the axle and the taper on the drum have worn, so it's no longer a tight fit, no matter how tight I crank the bolt. I can see the bottom of the axle 'tube' on the drum is polished from rubbing against the washer/bearing on the axle.
I dont have a good fix in mind, short of wrapping a sheet of 0.002" steel around the taper of the axle, trim it so it does not interfere with the key and then slip the drum over it. Right now I can loosen the nut and the drum just pulls right off, no effort. It should take a wheel puller to get it off if the fit was good.

Anyone else have an idea that does not involve replacing rare Axle or Drum ?
Starman97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
15125, 4262, brake, drum
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts