lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #1
tom.robson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1989 G1 Rear axle bearing replacement

Hi all,

I am the caretaker of a 1989 Yamaha G1 2 stroke golf cart for an older lady that is not well off and she uses it for the feeding and care of her horses and boarding horses (oh did I mention she also has serious mobility issues). My daughters take riding lessons with her and while the girls are riding, I am fixing things around the farm.... of which the golf cart is but one. I got it running great last year with replacement crank seals and butterfly valves. The cart has been problem free until now. So, got a call yesterday stating the golf cart runs fine but won't move. Get over there and the whole wheel is about 3-4 inches out from the side of the cart. Come to find out the rear wheel/axle bearing had failed allowing the axle shaft to move out of the transmission, thus no movement. It appears no damage other than the failed bearing. Got a new bearing but for the life of me can't find any how to's on the internet on procedures for removing the old and replacing with the new... Any pointers?

Read some of the other threads on here, and does not appear to have welded collars. Not sure if bearing is pressed from the transmission end on or if the hub end is a press interference fit that needs heat on hub and cold on shaft to separate... Looking closely at the shaft, it appears to have a shoulder on the axle on the transmission side of the bearing which would prohibit pressing off in that direction. Hopefully the shaft is not welded to the hub. If it is, what are my options? Seems silly to have to get a whole new axle shaft assembly (including bearing) for a simple bearing replacement...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3436.jpg (196.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3437.jpg (213.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3438.jpg (226.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by tom.robson; 01-18-2018 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: pictures and more detail
tom.robson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default re: 1989 G1 Rear axle bearing replacement

Those bearings were installed before the hub flange was welded on the end, thus making bearing replacement nearly impossible after the hub is welded on. 2 options, find a different axle shaft to pop in there. Or, remove the welds holding the hub on, so the hub can be removed, then bearing race can be removed. Both are bad options, but it's all you got. You can see the weld on picture 2, at the center of the hub. Maybe you could drill and tap a hole in the end of the axle shaft to use a bolt to retain the hub for reassembly.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
tom.robson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks cgtech. Was figuring that. I have a metal lathe in the garage so I will try and machine the weld off and see if I can get it separated. Should be easy to get back together with a spot weld and on each side to lock it in place.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
tom.robson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1989 G1 Rear axle bearing replacement - Success

Successfully separated the hub and axle. Replaced the bearing and had the hub welded back on. Total cost $30 including the bearing. 6205-RS was the original bearing and it crossed to a 205-F from National Bearings/Federal Mogul. Looked at the cost for a replacement axle assembly initially and the least expensive of unknown quality was $75 used. New was over $170

I had to grind the weld off the end of the axle/hub and then beat the snot out of it to separate the two. Was going to try and machine it off with my lathe but the axle was too long to fit. Finally got it apart and discovered that it is just a press fit with no splines to stop rotation. The welded end of the axle is the only mechanism that stops rotation between the axle and hub. Reassembled the axle by putting the bearing on first using a deep socket and a vise to press it into place, next the spacer then the 4 bolt retaining plate and then the hub. Don't forget the retaining plate. It will ruin your day if you do. The only way to get it on is with the hub removed. Took the axle assembly to the local muffler shop and gave them $10 to run a bead or two around the end of the axle where it comes out of the hub. Pictures are worth a thousand words so here you go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3441.jpg (177.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3442.jpg (177.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3443.jpg (195.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3444.jpg (221.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3447.jpg (234.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

RIGHT ON! Most everyone seems to shy away from the project when the necessary steps are described. $30 bucks for whole job too! SWEET.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
travisjenn
Not Yet Wild

Great info and pictures. I never would have believed they would make the shaft with the step like that. Some have reported pressed collars, welded collars, and this later model looks different yet with no collar and a machined step. This thread would be great to link in the G1 axle bearing replacement sticky for reference.
travisjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Nice job Might have opted for a sealed bearing on both sides.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #8
tom.robson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yeah, thought about getting sealed bearing, but the inside is protected by the axle tube and also a secondary source of lubricant in the transmission lube also figured the original is identical to what I put back in and that lasted 28 years
Old 01-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: 1989 G1 Rear axle bearing replacement

Bearing part number corrected, and added to the Stickies! (Great fix!)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:34 AM   #10
kandkwillis
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 G1 Rear axle bearing replacement

Hi Tom I know this is an old post but I have the same issue

And I was wondering how it held up
kandkwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha