lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2021, 06:42 PM   #1
wsl91
Not Yet Wild

Default Vegas carts 670 mod runs slow

new here, looked all over but not finding anything. I just bought an EZGO with a Vegas carts Predator mod. Everything seems ok but runs (ground speed) quite slow. The previous owner said he had the governor turned down for his kids but when I started asking details he didn't have answers just its the linkage. I bought the cart as it looked solid and figured I would figure this out. Long time motorcycle/tractor/other small engine owner.
I've been on the internet and have the air filter box off studying the linkage. Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise it idles ok, shifts ok.
wsl91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2021, 06:56 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Vegas carts 670 mod runs slow

IMHO a good first start would be to get a tach and see what kind of RPMS you are presently turning before doing anything else.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:28 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If the cable from the carb runs directly to the linkage on the transaxle then it's definitely governed. You can turn up the speed by tightening the nut on the governor bolt, that puts more tension on the spring and allows more ground speed. That being said, you'll probably max out at 20 mph or so unless you have big tires. With 22 or 23" tires you should run in the 25 mph range at around 4000 rpm. I wouldn't rev that engine past that. Def get a tach. Those engines are tricky to get a tach to work properly, they have something weird with the signal on the spark plug wires and the tach has to be wired directly to the ignition coil. Vegas Carts has a write up about it on their web site. BTW if you run the accelerator cable directly to the carb you'll get better throttle response.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:05 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

A couple of tach options that read right off a spark plug lead for simplicity are the El Cheapo digital units on E bay and the Equus 8068. On my VC 460 I still have the El cheapo for its hour readings and the very accurate Equus for it zero lag RPM readings. The only drawback to the Elcheapo unit is there is some lag so if you are really buzzing the engine up to red line you will not be aware of over revving. I also have the Equus on my 440 sled engined harley cart. It works well in both cases.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:12 AM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If its the governor, are we talking motor governor or the transaxle governor. As Slonomo indicated, if the throttle cable at the carb comes from the transaxle, the previous owner tied the ground speed governor to the carb. These motors also have a separate internal governor that operates on engine speed. As the cart revs up, a set of linkages and springs pulls back on the carb throttle plate slowing the motor. They are designed from the factory to run constant speed 3600 RPM max, but do that 100% of the time. If there is no cable from the transaxle to the carb linkage, then its just the engine governor. With all the linkages intact, and the air filter off, carb exposed, find the carb and manually open the throttle right at the carb. There is a stop on the linkage arm, and if you can't get it to turn all the way to the stop, then they reconfigured the linkages to prevent full throttle. Just a matter of repositioning the linkages to allow the carb to open all the way. If the carb is opening all the way, it isn't the linkages.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #6
88mgt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Here's the link the Vegas carts manuals. The second is the governor removal instructions on the 670. Mine in a club car ds does 40 mph. It's most likely in that linkage on the carb.

https://vegascarts.com/pages/instruction-guides

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18v2...ew?usp=sharing
88mgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:22 PM   #7
wsl91
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input. The accelerator cable goes directly to the carb. I will get a tach.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:26 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you disable the engine governor, make sure you don't rev past 4200 rpm or you can do damage to the valvetrain.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:30 AM   #9
wsl91
Not Yet Wild

Tach arrived, I'm re-wiring the cart, the original owner pulled the original harness out and only used the Vegas motor harness so only the motor was wired. I will have everything hooked back up plus some extras.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:19 AM   #10
wsl91
Not Yet Wild

Does anyone have a picture of where the VC Tach signal wire hooks up on the predator 670 motor? I read the VC instructions and they just say coil wire but not a color or where. I also found a thread that says to hook to #1 coil, not sure why that should matter but any advice appreciated. Wiring job 80% complete this morning. Thanks. Pictures coming soon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!