lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #21
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Default Re: Melex 212 Refurb

OK thanks, that's what I thought. An inch isn't a lot, but since I need new tires anyway I might as well get something.

For a few years I have been wearing safety glasses (now sadly with bifocals) and I did put the side shields on when I was grinding. However, I still got something in my eye but thankfully nothing got scratched. Maybe an additional shield might be a good idea.

George
gstoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #22
EZ-GOnewild
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I think you can put the 20s on it without a lift. That will give an inch of true ground clearance. The lift kit doesn't give you true ground clearance- only bigger tires raise the rearend off the ground. Besure to wear eye protection when using the grinder and wire wheel brush. Little broken bristles and debris will be flying. I like a clear face shield for that job..
Good advice. I do the same when I'm using a bench grinder or a hand held dotco/die grinder. I bought mine at the local welding supply and it is a must have when sand blasting too. That and welding gloves!
EZ-GOnewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #23
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

I agree. A clear face shield is ideal, it gives you better protection than most safety glasses, and without impeding your view at all. I have been known to do a few things without putting my goggles or shield on, and at least twice in my life I have regretted it (scratched my eye pretty good).

Also, wear your welding goggles/helmet when you weld, even if you're just doing a LOT of tacking... burned eyes don't feel good at all. Those auto-darkening helmets are great.

As far as your question about lifting, etc. on that old melex, I will say this, if you get larger tires, you may or may not have a problem with rubbing due to SAG on the springs. I know the rear of my melex has sagged quite a bit, and there is no way I could put larger tires on without putting new springs in at least. You could do an axle flip (put the axle under the springs instead), and get a kit for the front, I think some of the ez-go lifts will fit that cart, or you could build something to help gain a little more height (and clearance depending on what you come up with). If I keep mine I intend to modify it myself.
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #24
dans8555
Not Yet Wild

I did not plan on going as large as 20" tires, but after these comments, why not. I contacted an spring repair shop for automobiles and they can add a leaf to the springs for about $35, I thought this would provide added strength/support as I want to add a seat on the back, then put on new shocks on t he back and see if I can add a pair to the front. I am expecting that doing this will add some lift and the improved suspension will give a better ride. While the springs are off I may see if the repair shop can make me some blocks to get a 3"or4" lift, front and back. The only concern I have then is replacing the old tie rods in the front. They seem worn out, rattle a lot and the steering is a little loose.
dans8555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #25
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All of the tie rod ends are available by size and thread .....If you have welding and fab skills you may want to try and lift the cart yourself.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1223740887
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1356.jpg (77.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1354.jpg (83.8 KB, 26 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #26
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Part of the reason for working on the cart was to learn some fab skills. My welder brother helped me pick out a Hobart welder and I've been doing a little practice but I haven't welded seriously since college. I'd love to build my own lift but I'm sure I'll have a lot of stupid questions. I know my way around and inside a computer, but I have no idea how and why the steering is designed the way it is.

I've had trouble with the auto-darkening helmets as the window on the one I tried wasn't large enough to let me use my bifocals. So, I bought a regular helmet with a nice big window, as the wire feed welder lets me touch the wire to the work, shut the helmet and then hit the trigger. Sure wish they'd have had those welders in college when I was learning to weld.

Thanks,
George
Old 10-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #27
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Hey, George, bifocals are a part of seasoned living! I use them with my auto darkening helmet.....Maybe the bifocal line is too low on your lens?
Old 10-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #28
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

"Seasoned living", I like that (and it fits too). I think the problem was that I'd shot my wad on the welder and was trying to be too cheap with the helmet. A good regular helmet with a nice sized window was way cheaper than a good one with auto darkening. Maybe Santa will bring me one for Christmas? I didn't buy/rent the gas yet for the same reason. So far, all I've done is flux core wire welding. Figured I could add gas later.

I'm embarrassed to ask this, but are there any good references to what the names of the parts of the front end are and a description of what they do? I know there are tie rod ends up there but haven't a clue which part they are.

Thanks,
George
Old 10-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #29
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

well.....there are alot of pieces and names there but, it is a real basic simple front end....everything that swivels on the end of a rod is a tierod end. Grease it. the wheels bolt to a hub. It spins on an axle. It is connected to the king pin and king pin's connected to the spindle and the spindles connected to the A arm.The A arm is connected to the frame....
Old 10-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #30
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

frame is connected to the body, body connected to the seat, seat connected to your butt... ;)
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex