lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2021, 03:19 PM   #1
chief3200
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 99 ezgo golf car motor issues

So my sister recently purchased a 1999 EZGO 36 volt golf cart from a guy here locally. The golf cart seemed to run fine while test driving it and a price was agreed upon. The guy that sold her the cart said that the batteries are about 2 years old. With all that being said that cart is very erratic when maintaining speed and did not seem to maintain a charge on the batteries very long.

Being very much a rookie when it comes to working on electric golf carts I began looking at different things. The first things that I noticed was that connections on the batteries were not the best and it even appeared that the cables had been hot at some point or another. I went through and cleaned the connections with a wire brush and put a corrosion inhibitor on it. This seemed to improve acceleration but the cart is still struggling to maintain speed and voltage.

I decided that I would dig a little deeper and was told that it might be a speed control sensor. Well when I dug into it I discovered that the motor did not have a speed sensor. While snooping around the motor I discovered that the motor was a 48v shunt motor and not a 36v motor. Could this be the issue? I have been told different things some saying that a 48v motor will not work on a 36v system and some say it will. Should I spend $500 to replace the motor and go back to a 36v motor or does it even make a difference?

The cart is a 1999 36v cart with a Stock Curtis Controller, 6 6v batteries, 36v solenoid and a 48v shunt motor.

ANY HELP OR GUIDANCE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33711.jpg (11.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 33741.jpg (13.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 33727.jpeg (9.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 33708.jpg (6.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210227_132219_resized.jpg (208.6 KB, 0 views)
chief3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2021, 03:30 PM   #2
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 ezgo golf car motor issues

Never seen that before. That is not usually the motor on that cart. AMD made the "stock" motor that pairs with that 1206SX controller you got there. That is a DCS (Drive Control System) setup I believe.

You have a t/r switch and a 10 pin molex on the top of the controller. Which tells me its a 1206SX DCS controller.

Doubt that the field maps in that Curtis controller will drive that GE motor properly.

FYI: If it is a DCS cart they are the odd ball first-gen Shunt "regen" setups and they don't have speed sensors on the motor.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #3
chief3200
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapled View Post
Never seen that before. That is not usually the motor on that cart. AMD made the "stock" motor that pairs with that 1206SX controller you got there. That is a DCS (Drive Control System) setup I believe.

You have a t/r switch and a 10 pin molex on the top of the controller. Which tells me its a 1206SX DCS controller.

Doubt that the field maps in that Curtis controller will drive that GE motor properly.

FYI: If it is a DCS cart they are the odd ball first-gen Shunt "regen" setups and they don't have speed sensors on the motor.
So would you suggest replacing the motor or the controller?
Old 03-03-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
chief3200
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I think I am going to replace the motor... any recommendations on where to order it from?
Old 03-03-2021, 08:41 PM   #5
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief3200 View Post
I think I am going to replace the motor... any recommendations on where to order it from?
I would give D&D motors a call and talk to them about a motor replacement if you are going to replace the motor.

https://ddmotorsystems.com/

But, if you are going to replace the motor you should probably replace that controller too. They are the 2nd worst controller ever put in a golf cart in my personal opinion. The worst being the Danaher controller in a early model RXV.

But, replacing a motor and a controller is a pricy proposition. If you are going to try and flip that cart I would seek out a used AMD motor from a local source. Depending where you live their could be a number of them kicking around. I am in Canada and shipping a used motor isn't worth the cost generally as they are heavy. But, as an example I have 4 DCS motors sitting around and this is my hobby. Local dealers in my zone have even more kicking around. I can get one off them usually for 100$ CND. If you are in the states and in a state that has a golf cart culture there has to be some kicking around locally for that or less. Few phone calls may save you a lot of cash.

When you start updating things on a golf cart it becomes a pricy proposition. Especially on a older TXT... It has a 3-bolt legacy front suspension that is sloppy. Then you replace that... Then you lift it... Etc... etc... etc...

If you want a cart that runs just seek out a used DCS motor in good condition that pairs with that stock controller.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

By the way Imapled, have you had issues with the Danaher controller or have you only heard about it? Very often written here... my 2009 RXV is a early fleet model and i CAN'T confirm that at all! The cart is running for 3.5 years without any electrical issues. Brake system / controller works as they should
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO