lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #1
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Default Smallest battery I can use for a winch

I want a winch for emergency use. Do not anticipate using it hardly at all, but want to have it if we're waaaay out in the boonies at 3AM and get stuck. Since every winch I've found is 12V, I guess I can't run it off the 8V batteries in my pack.

I really don't want a gigantic marine/auto battery if I can avoid it. What's the smallest battery I can get away with for something like this?
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2021, 12:30 PM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Smallest battery I can use for a winch

I don't think you would have a problem running off 2 of the 8 volt batteries (16 volts). I would think winch can handle that without hurting it. But maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #3
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
I don't think you would have a problem running off 2 of the 8 volt batteries (16 volts). I would think winch can handle that without hurting it. But maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.
Warn Winches disagrees. They said no go on 16v.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #4
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

That surprises me, I would not have thought that. But I guess with them freshly charged you will actually have above 18 volts and maybe that's too much. Maybe some of the battery experts will chime in. Be a shame to have to lug another battery around.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:26 PM   #5
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

It really boils down to how long and hard of a pull you would be making. For example a ATV/Lawn Mower battery would work but i dont think you will get even a minute of run time out of it when making a pull on a stuck cart and the last thing you want to do it run out of battery when you really need it. You should look into XS Power Batteries, they have batteries that pack a punch that are smaller in size than your standard car battery. Your still going to want to make sure you have the battery fully charged before going out on your adventures even if using a big battery. Winches even small ones draw ALOT of power when under a load.

Wayne

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:35 PM   #6
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
It really boils down to how long and hard of a pull you would be making. For example a ATV/Lawn Mower battery would work but i dont think you will get even a minute of run time out of it when making a pull on a stuck cart and the last thing you want to do it run out of battery when you really need it. You should look into XS Power Batteries, they have batteries that pack a punch that are smaller in size than your standard car battery. Your still going to want to make sure you have the battery fully charged before going out on your adventures even if using a big battery. Winches even small ones draw ALOT of power when under a load.

Wayne

Wayne
When I'm looking at batteries, what specification do I need to watch out for to tell me how long it can power the winch? Amp-hours?
Old 03-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

You want a 12V MARINE battery. That's what I've been using for....gheeze....has to be ten years now.

Marine batteries don't have an initial "start up" power surge like vehicle batteries do. Marine batts provide a smooth flow of power.

You may be adding 40-50 pounds of battery to your cart.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Deep cycle battery, they are designed for running electric motors. Smaller 12v batteries will work, just won't work as well. 12v motors usually will run on a higher or lower voltage and normally aren't that sensitive to voltage with no load. When the load increases, things change. Amperage is very important too. Also, things like microswitches and controllers are often voltage sensitive, so 16v very well could fry the electronics of the winch.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:39 PM   #9
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
You want a 12V MARINE battery. That's what I've been using for....gheeze....has to be ten years now.

Marine batteries don't have an initial "start up" power surge like vehicle batteries do. Marine batts provide a smooth flow of power.

You may be adding 40-50 pounds of battery to your cart.
What's the smallest battery I can get away with? Where can I put this on a Precedent?
Old 03-04-2021, 06:52 AM   #10
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Im no battery expert by any means but ive noticed that most small batteries are rated by AH and most larger car like batteries are rated in CA/CCA.

A quick search shows that you can convert CCA to AH but multiplying the CCA by 0.70 will give you the AH of that battery. For example a 600CCA X 0.7 = 420AH

The Badlands 2500lb winch at full load pulls 130+ amps

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts