lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2021, 08:01 AM   #1
gujuman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Newbie -- safety ? jack + stand rec

Hello all!
Purchased 48 V 2014 CC Precedent last summer and had a great time modding -- RHOX light kit, speaker, LED, etc. It's time to take it to the next level but need some help.

I want to load test each battery (may need to replace) replace tires and clean underside :) I want to lift the cart in the absolute SAFEST possible way but am confused about floor jacks, motorcycle jacks, lawn mower lifts, jack stands, ramps, blocks.

What specific equipment would you recommend? I don't plan on lifting anything else, just the GC and only a couple times a year if even that. I saw some older diagrams of jack points but couldn't find any for 2014 precedent.

Would you use this motorcycle jack? seems like it may be more stable? I saw some posts of additional safety on top of the jack stands, but couldn't fully follow them.

Harbor Freight -- PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE 1500 Lb. Steel ATV/Motorcycle Lift (sorry can't post links yet)

Thanks in advance!
gujuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2021, 08:26 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Newbie -- safety ? jack + stand rec

Your owners manual should show the jacking points.

What I usually use is a Harbor Frieght high lift jack with quick pump. It jacks very fast and lifts high enough for a full size pick up truck. It also has a foot pump as well, makes it easy to raise the jack up all the way.

In the rear I usually use two 3 ton jack stands on the axle, with towels on the jacks to protect the paint on the axle.

For the front I usually use two 3 ton jack stands under the frame where the a arms connect. Your cart might be a little different. As long as the stands are under the acutal frame of the cart is will be fine. Just be careful not to pinch any wires etc.

I also have a really nice expensive jack/lift that I can lift the entire cart up in the air, but it's really expensive and a luxury item. It's handy though and I love it. It's a Redline RL175. I work on a lot of carts and atv's so it makes sense for me and I use it all the time. It's nice to be able to hook the air line to it and push a button and raise the whole cart up 3 feet in the air in 30 seconds. Makes certain jobs much less painful with my low back issues, helps eliminate bending over as much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daytona high reach jack.jpg (105.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Redline_RL175_Lift_Jack.jpg (144.1 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

i have used jack stands , stacked up 6x6's and concrete blocks because that what I had at the time . always had it four points .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8125-1.JPG (93.6 KB, 0 views)
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #4
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

I have 2 9000lb 2 post automotive lifts at my business. Working under them has never been a problem for me but I understand thats overkill for your situation. A decent floor jack and jack stands should do the job.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
texasflyer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Just my opinion... Concrete blocks and stacked lumber may get the job done, but it's not the right tool for the job. It only takes one time for something to fail and cause serious damage.

Go to Harbor Freight and get a floor jack and four 3-ton jack stands. This is overkill for a golf cart, but this setup will work on a full size truck so you'll be set for any other project that comes along.
texasflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:58 AM   #6
gujuman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks everyone for the fast replies and photos! Looks like the Daytona low profile and 4 3 ton jack stands will be best..

Sorry for more noob ?'s...but want to be extra safe/cautious. Do I need any other supports other than the 4 jack stands? Anything better or worse than the Pittsburgh Automotive ones on Harbor Freight? With such a powerful floor jack, would you raise front and rear separately or just from middle and then place all 4 jack stands?

Any other tips?

Now, off to find that darn manual! Thanks again everyone
gujuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #7
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Concrete blocks should NEVER be used as jack stands, wood is fine but never concrete.

Harbor Freight a few months ago had issues with there jack stands but they recalled the affected stands and fixed the issue. Just find some that will go high enough for your liking.

As for a jack i suggest the Yellow Daytona Professional Grade 3Ton floor jack. You can find it on sale for $180. For the money its the best jack on the market. Snap-On actually sued HF because of that jack saying it was copy right infringements, well Snap-On lost. What im getting at is that if Snap-On is willing to sue over the jack they must think its a true competitor. Although the 3Ton is overkill for a cart you can use it on anything.

Lift the front then rear separately, dont try lifting the entire cart from the middle/center. The center is where the batteries are, you want to lift from the frame, rear axle and front suspension only. 4 jack stands will be plenty.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
texasflyer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It depends what you're trying to accomplish. When I was rebuilding my golf cart (lift, leaf springs, shocks, wheels & tires, motor, controller, etc.) i put the whole cart on 4 jack stands because I had the whole suspension off. If you're only doing the front end, then there's no reason for the back tires to come off the ground. Best practice is to put a stand at each corner supporting the frame. Carts can be rear heavy, especially with a back seat and lead batteries, so make sure the rear stands aren't too close to the center of the cart. When I'm lifting the back, I usually put the jack under the rear axle. When I'm lifting the front, I center it on the frame between the two lower A-arms. As long as your jack and stands are supporting the frame and you have good weight distribution, you're generally going to be in good shape.
texasflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:02 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gujuman View Post
Thanks everyone for the fast replies and photos! Looks like the Daytona low profile and 4 3 ton jack stands will be best..

Sorry for more noob ?'s...but want to be extra safe/cautious. Do I need any other supports other than the 4 jack stands? Anything better or worse than the Pittsburgh Automotive ones on Harbor Freight? With such a powerful floor jack, would you raise front and rear separately or just from middle and then place all 4 jack stands?

Any other tips?

Now, off to find that darn manual! Thanks again everyone
Listen, it sounds as if you've never done this before. It can be very dangerous working under a vehicle, even a golf cart. I know a couple people who have died from vehicles falling off the jackstands, and they were experienced hobby mechanics. Do not take this lightly.

Please, find someone in your neighborhood or a friend who has done this kind of work and have them walk you through it. Safety first.

Several important tips:
1. Always triple check your equipment settings
2. Never "balance" any vehicle on jackstands or a jack
3. Limit laying underneath a vehicle as much as possible
4. Never lay underneath a vehicle if you are alone
5. Never stand on top of a vehicle on jack stands
6. Never use jack or jackstands for anything they are not designed for
7. Never trust a "jack only" for support, Always use jacktands
8. Use jacks and jackstands that are rated 2x-3x the capacity of your vehicles
9. Always know the weights of the vehicles you are lifting
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Lots of good advice in this rhread, whenever I remove a wheel I place it under the frame - just in case.

Sent using Tapatalk
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car