lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2021, 09:27 PM   #1
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Jeff's little hot rod

I picked up Jeff's Hot rod today to work some electrical magic on it. This is going to be fun build for sure.

Want to thank Jeff for trusting me enough to do this with his Hot Rod cart. It's gonna be fun to see his face when he sits in it the first time.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2021, 07:39 AM   #2
CustomCurt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Jeff's little hot rod

cool buggie !!!
CustomCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:33 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

A coat of clear and its good to go! i like the old patina look LOL
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:19 PM   #4
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Jeff's little hot rod

Well I got the cart to the house this afternoon and started right in on it. I got it up on blocks so I can slide under it and well I just went at it. I checked the on board charger first thing and it worked so the batteries are fully charged now. I then started gutting it. I have all the components and harness out of it and tomorrow I hope to get started checking it all out. This harness has everything tied into it. Head lights, tail lights power system everything is linked together so it all had to come out. We have some nice upgrades plan for it so keep checking in as it goes back together.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:32 PM   #5
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

This frame looks to be a Club Car knock off for sure. The twin I beam frame is aluminum and the front end is a basic Club Car design with the R&P steering & shock towers just like the Club cars. The throttle & brakes are identical to them even under it. The added battery tray is a mix of both metal & aluminum from ACG. The schematic's aren't that great though but hopefully I will get it running. I found a few grounds attached to the frame under it so this could have been part of the reason it didn't run. Not sure haven't spoken with Jeff on it yet. The head light relay had a ground wire attached to the frame but wasn't hooked to anything.
The ACG website:
https://acgcars.us/california-roadster-golf-car.html
Quote:
The frames are made from rugged and corrosion-proof all aluminum I-beams.
I got to give Jeff credit this cart is clean under it, top of it and in it there is nothing dirty about it. Thanks man it's nice being able to work on something and it be clean.

The plan:
Take the harness a part and strip the lights out of it. Make the operating system and lights separate harness so the next poor guy want have to fight all the operating wires to figure out a bad ground on the light is causing the problems.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: Jeff's little hot rod

Well it ran a few minutes in reverse and now nothing. It runs fine in forward just not reverse. I think the ACG controller has gone bad. This controller has a double pigtail coming out of it. Never seen one like it before. I may just put the old Club car controller in it and see if it works. I have hooked it up every way I know how to try and get it to work in reverse but it want do a thing.

Anybody happen to have a good readable diagram for it. The ACG website wiring schematics are JUNK!
Old 03-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #7
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Anybody got any info on these carts? The customer service and their wiring schematics suck. They want answer phone calls and want e mail me back. Would be nice to verify what I have wired up. By the schematics they have I know very little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 156181947_5001052143302543_1640761815688611828_o.jpg (108.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring 48 volts.jpg (110.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ACG schematic.jpg (81.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-03-2021, 12:05 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I agree the ACG schematics are garbage, but the drive system is fairly straight forward. Series drive with a reversing contactor.

You said it has a aluminum frame, so they most likely started out with a stock CC series drive and added a reversing contactor to it, if CC didn't come that way. (I'm not familiar with CC carts)

Find a schematic for CC series drive that uses a potentiometer for a throttle and it ought to be a pretty close match to the ACG Cart's drive system.

Running in one direction but not the other is a reversing contactor issue and the reversing contactor is drawn on the ACG schematics fairly well. The boxes labeled TF and TR are the F and R solenoid coils.

Attached are better versions of the schematics you already have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACG 02-04.jpg (206.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ACG 05-08.jpg (250.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #9
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I agree the ACG schematics are garbage, but the drive system is fairly straight forward. Series drive with a reversing contactor.

You said it has a aluminum frame, so they most likely started out with a stock CC series drive and added a reversing contactor to it, if CC didn't come that way. (I'm not familiar with CC carts)

[B][COLOR="Red"]Find a schematic for CC series drive that uses a potentiometer for a throttle and it ought to be a pretty close match to the ACG Cart's drive system.

Running in one direction but not the other is a reversing contactor issue and the reversing contactor is drawn on the ACG schematics fairly well. The boxes labeled TF and TR are the F and R solenoid coils.

Attached are better versions of the schematics you already have.
Yes agree, I have both of thos schematics.
with that but the controller has a Red & White wire and a white wire that has to swap also. The reversing contactor is working as it should. Both coils are engaging and dis engaging when power is supplied and the cart will run in forward. White wire with power.
When you go to reverse though the power is applied to the red & White wire but the white wire still has power also and it want go into reverse. I can swap the white wire with the red&White and leave the R&W disconnect the and it runs in reverse.

I think I will try a normal series controller and see if that will work.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:23 AM   #10
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Ok it's been updated and its running a Altrax 48 volt 400amp SR controller now and it's running.

I tell you what ACG is a piss poor company. I have been waiting on 2 phone calls and 4 e-mails from them and nothing not a word.

The in puts for the throttle would not work with the controller so I pulled the foot pedal out of the little red coupe and it's running good now. Jeff is ordering both for it.
I will take the club car gas pedal out and I will mount the new pedal to the floor board. That will also give Jeff about 4-6 inches of leg room.
I will start on the head lights and tail lights I hope later today if everything goes well with the body install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52PCOxE5kvo

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides