lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #1
Shaggyman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Trans or Differential?

I have a 2001 Pioneer 1200 SM 2 WD with locker differential.
Pulling in heavy mud over ice it started getting noisy (growly - like stripped gears or disintegrated bearings) and I noticed only one wheel was turning.
It refused to go up the hill and momentum stalled out with the one wheel spinning on the ice.
I put in in reverse to get a run at it, but it would only go as far as neutral.
Shut it off and checked the shift lever on the top of the trans, but it would not budge. |
I can't get it to roll at all and when started, the belt just spins on the clutch, which will not turn, but the belt grabs enough to burn.
Is it likely my diff is toast, or maybe the whole transaxle?
Is repair feasible?
I'm on SS and I need it to move feed for the livestock in bad weather, which we seem to be blessed with more than usual.
Shaggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2021, 08:39 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Trans or Differential?

Not sure what the drivetrain setup is like on those. Most Club Car vehicles went to a single gearcase design after 1997, so the transmission and differential/axle are all in the same unit. If one got fudged the metal chunks and glitter are everywhere in there and will probably need to tear the whole thing apart and replace all the bearings, along with whichever gear or gears grenaded.

On some of the later units they did change to a bolt on Hub design which has splines at the outer end of the axle, might get lucky and just have a stripped hub, but that wouldn’t cause the trans to be locked.
Stuck synchro rings can lock the trans, but you should still be able to shift the FnR lever on the trans. If that doesn’t move at all, then something big has likely grenaded inside.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:56 AM   #3
Shaggyman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That Club Car is currently stuck in a muddy pasture, almost exactly unlike the kind of place I want to work on it. I can't just tow it out, because one of the wheels is now locked by trans failure, and would just plow the muddy ground with foot deep ruts.
I believe I can lift the rear wheels off the ground with the tractor and tow it from the rear.
Should I try to immobilize the steering, or is it likely to track following?
Old 03-02-2021, 09:04 PM   #4
Shaggyman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Got it out and apart, and discovered the synchronizer gear set is locked - won't move at all. Found some brass bits in the sump, so...
Now scrounging for a puller wedge to press the mess apart and see what parts I'll need.
Is it most likely that just the brass rings are shot, since they are softer than the steel?
Old 03-03-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It’s not uncommon for the synchros to get stuck but that wouldn’t cause a wheel to lock up while you’re driving.
What kind of brass pieces were in the bottom? Big chunks or just little shavings/slivers?

Is that unit 4wd or 2wd?
Old 03-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
Shaggyman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

2WD. Small pieces, like shavings. It was impossible to put in either forward or reverse.
Nothing on the Synch gear assembly will move at all.
Differential lock appears to be working okay, and I see no damage to any gears...
Old 03-03-2021, 02:15 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Sorry you're having this kind of issue. Sounds like a remove and inspect situation. You can speculate all day, but seeing all the parts when removed will tell you the real culprit. Luckily parts are still available and it's not so old that you couldn't find a replacement. Get it apart and see what's what.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #8
Shaggyman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Here is what I found. One of the synch rings was binding. Can I polish the mating surface on the gear with Flit or something and just replace the rings?
Recommendations for replacement 16 degree rings?
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...40&oe=6063F512
Old 03-03-2021, 08:13 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Still seems odd because that wouldn’t cause one wheel to lock. Maybe a brake cable got hung up or froze and pulled the brake tight on that side.
The synchro jamming could be a few things, but that looks to me like it was starved for fluid or the fluid overheated. What kind of oil was in there?
Do you have pics of the rear axle assembly? If that’s the same axle they use on all the golf carts you should be able to get new synchro rings from Club Car.

David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars would probably know.

Tags
differential, transaxle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car