lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
helimech3
Not Yet Wild

Default Slow up hills/ long time to start

I am new to the forum and would appreciate and any help that someone could give. I have a 95 Club car gas cart. It has been very sluggish on hills lately and really slows down going up hills. Have had the cart for about 6 years now and this has never been an issue. Few months ago the cart started pissing fuel out the car overflow. Ordered a rebuild kit for the carb and then realized that it had a after market carb. Since it had worked for the time I had it just ordered a replacement to match it. With new carb it still is sluggish with hills. I have checked compression and it was around 150 and changed the spark plug. Curious of thoughts. Could it be fuel pump or I am leaning more towards clutch problems. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also sometimes when I push on the gas pedal it takes 5-7 seconds probably before the engine even starts to turn over. Any thoughts? Possibly a switch or solenoid issue? I changed the battery last year and didn't help.

Thanks again for any help
helimech3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2016, 06:01 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Slow up hills/ long time to start

Your compression sounds like it's good. I'm thinking worn out belt or clutch problems. Put it in maintenance mode, run the cart in neutral, and try to watch what the belt does in the clutches as you speed up the motor. It should rise up in the drive clutch (the one on the motor) and sink down into the driven clutch (the one on the axle, in back). Just had another member have a very similar issue and his driven clutch was seized up.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
helimech3
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input I will take a look and report back.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #4
helimech3
Not Yet Wild

Just an update. I checked the clutches like you said and they seem to be working just fine. The belt itself looks to be in good shape also. I changed it probably 5-6 years ago. Not sure how tight it should be when the cart isn't running but it seems ok to me. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

The belt should be loose when cart is at rest. You should even be able to slide it off with no tools.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
mdillonaire
Getting Wild

Drive belt should be loose, starter belt should be tight. Sounds like a fuel issue to me, have you changed the fuel filters recently? Seems like if its having a hard time starting as well as under a load then theres a fuel issue.
mdillonaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car