lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
g1uncman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Exclamation No spark on my g1 need help please help me!!!!

Ok, so last week I purchased a later model g1, I know this bc it has the relay on the back of the passanger wheel hub. The solenoids have wires on front and back. Here is the problem, I have power running from my ignition switch, start stop switch ect, and through the solenoids. Starter turners over when jumped with a starter switch, but I still (with the throttle pushed in) and ignition turned to forward or reverse have no spark. I am getting power to my ignition coil but no spark at all when taken out or put in. I checked the cdi and all the components, with a test power wire (the one you connect to battery and get a light to glow) and had power on all the wires from ignition and cdi, ect.... The only one was the relay switch at the back, I would get a light on the top two and NOTHING at all on the bottom two holes coming off of the connector. Could this be the problem or what???? I WANT THIS CART RUNNING!!!! I also for 50 got a spare g1 in someones yard for 50 bucks to get parts off of! I got the body motor, everything!!!! When we jump the starter with the jumper cables and spark plug in the starter has a hard time spinning bc of compression, but when the spark plug is taken out she spins like no other and the engine sounds great, just we cannot get a spark, we have check all fuses also, (2). PLEASEEEE someone get back to me asap! I am off work today and hoping to get this bad boy running!!!!!
g1uncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
CharlieN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: No spark on my g1 need help please help me!!!!

The CDI should not have 12V at it anywhere, it generates it's own power and the stop switch at the pedal and the key switch ground out the CDI to stop the engine.
Does the starter spin the engine when pressing the throttle?
Or does it only spin when jumpered?
To me it sounds like a wire issue up in front at the key or pedal switch.
CharlieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
g1uncman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I am not sure about that but all i know is that I have connection to the ignition, and i have not hooked my starter back up. And no the starter does not spin the engine when pressing the throttle bc I have not hooked the starter wires back up yet. It does spin when jumpered. I know that the buzzer does not work and I am thinking that i might have a problem with the relay??? I mean everything seems to be getting power i just need to find a way to test everything bc I am new to all of this. Ok, I know that i connected the test light to the positive i believe and touched the ignition switch on each wire that was soldered to it and the light came on. I did the same for the bracket that connects the two solenoids and the light came on, as for the pedal stop start switches, sorry i am new to this. Also at the relay harness, the top two slots i believe made the light come on..... thanks! cant wait to hear back from you
Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
CharlieN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would get everything wired back up and then go step by step.
The wire diagrams are available in the stickie area above this post.

When using a test light to find power the light needs to be connected to the negative terminal of the battery.
Start tracing power through the small red wire from the battery through the fuse near the front of the fender and then at the switches up front.

By hooking the test light onto the positive terminal you are finding ground points with the probe.

If it is not turning over well check that the battery is fully charged.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
g1uncman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

so i might be mistaken which one i had it hooked up to pos or neg, but the which one would make the light glow when touching the ignition points where they were soldered? If so can you tell me that everything sounds right? If the relay was messed up would it glow on all 4 insertion areas? or just two of them?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
g1uncman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

also i have spare solenoids and a starter...and extra wires but i dont know how to test them to see if anything is good!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

I don't have a G1 so I probably can't be of much help on specifics but have you tried reading through this thread? Might lead you in the right direction.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...s-newbies.html

Hope you get it figured out.
Bill
Honorstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
g1uncman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I will try, I am going to hook the starter back up and go from there.. Also is there a fuse anywhere under the front? I know of 2 one near battery and one near Cdi box.... And what about my back buzzer should it come on? It is connected and all but I have heard nothing
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
CharlieN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1uncman View Post
so i might be mistaken which one i had it hooked up to pos or neg, but the which one would make the light glow when touching the ignition points where they were soldered? If so can you tell me that everything sounds right? If the relay was messed up would it glow on all 4 insertion areas? or just two of them?
The relays are on the ground side of the starter, if you had power on them with the test light hooked onto the + terminal then it shows the light works. It means nothing when the system is not fully wired up.
A test light will not be of much use on a CDI ignition since this style ignition is self powered.
You really need to get everything wired up to test these things.

One test you can performer if you are spinning the engine with jumpers, disconnect the black-white wire from the CDI, this is the stop wire.
Spin the engine and check for spark.
This wire gets grounded by the switches up front to stop the engine.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
rjeezy3209
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I had similar problem on g2 and it turned out to be poor wiring kinda what I think your having probs with hook everything back up properly then start tracing your power wires and make sure is has power and wiring looks all good its fairly easy just a lil time consuming take all the tape loom etc off of the wiring harness and trace all the wires to where they go check quality of wire and connection to all points hope this helps let us know what ya come up with
rjeezy3209 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ignition coil, relay, spark, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha