lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
tjtsdunn
Not Yet Wild

Default 2007 ezgo txt series cart is slow

First off I would like to say I love this forum, I read quite often and have used the advise posted for others several times.

So here is my question, will my 36 volt 2007 TXT series cart with 6" lift, rear seat, brand new trojan batteries, 4 gauge wires be any faster or pull slight hills/inclines better if I replace the stock controller? Or would I just be wasting money?

I really don't want to upgrade to 42 volts(just bought new 6 volt batts and don't have room for 2 more).

Any advice is much appriciated.

Thanks

Tony D.
tjtsdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2007 ezgo txt series cart is slow

Upgrade your controller and F/R switch and it will make a world of difference in your cart.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
tjtsdunn
Not Yet Wild

Awsome, thats good to hear. What size and brand would you guys recommend on both parts? Also are they simple to replace? Thanks again for your advice.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

If you upgrade just the controller etc, yes it will pull the hills better, but you will not see much difference in speed, you would need to increase your voltage to accomplish that as well.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You mentioned the cart was lifted, but not if it had tall tires or not.
If the tires are taller than the stock 18" height, torque has been sacrificed for speed, so it'll slow down on inclines more.

A higher Amp controller probably won't improve the top speed much, but it will accelerate better and not slow as much going uphill.

If you are going 500A or less on the controller, 4Ga cables will probably be fine, but if you go over 500A, installing 2Ga or thicker would be better.

In a series cart, Amps = Torque and Volts = Speed (Motor RPM).

Speed is Motor RPM times Differential gear ratio times the circumference of the tires, so with a given gear ratio and tire height, more voltage is needed to make the motor spin faster to give you more speed.
Only if the cart cannot reach its full speed for its gears and tires because the cables and/or controller is limiting the amps the motor can draw, will upgrading cables and controller increase top speed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I quess the bottom line is how fast do you want to go?
These guys can't really help you unless they know what it is that will make you happy.
I got my 98 series upto 22mph on a flat road.
lithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
tjtsdunn
Not Yet Wild

I don't really need to go very fast, we just cruise around the neighborhood, but I would just like to keep going at a constant speed when we do have a hill instead of slowing down to a crawl.

I do have taller tires also, 22" I think
Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtsdunn View Post
I don't really need to go very fast, we just cruise around the neighborhood, but I would just like to keep going at a constant speed when we do have a hill instead of slowing down to a crawl.

I do have taller tires also, 22" I think
If you are satisfied with the top speed you've already got, a 400A controller, HD solenoid, 4Ga cables and a HD F/R will get back the torque lost by the 22" tires.

Scottyb (Carts Unlimited) has some package deals on cotroller/solenoid kits, but more importantly, he has a pretty good explanation of how to figure out what your needs are.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thanks Johnnie
It is the nature of the beast to slow on an incline.
However it does not have to slow to a crawl ... Improvements to the drive system like Johnnie lined out will allow the motor to access more amperage to increase torque while running uphill. This will make a big improvement in performance and sets the table for future improvements like that big aftermarket motor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
tjtsdunn
Not Yet Wild

sounds great guys, thanks for the info, I will definatly shop scottys again, I love my state of charge meter that I put in for my new batteries.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO