lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Morgs72
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1988 Club Cart Driven clutch Removal

Hello out there. I have a 1988 Club Car Gas and i have to replace the cam on the driven clutch. Two of the three fingers are broken (no idea how this happend). Does anyone have any adivice on how to remove the Driven Clutch. Does the Body have to be removed. What else should be replaced while this is off the cart. Also, do you think this is why i get a high squeeking noise when i go to start the cart but if i roll it forward a little it stops and engages just fine without the squeek.

Thanks as Always.
Morgs72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
streetrodderbn
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Cool Re: 1988 Club Cart Driven clutch Removal

I just pulled the driven clutch off my 88 ds yesterday! My cam is also broken, IMHO,the cam breaks due to the clutch being rusted shut, so the pulley cant expand under power, mine was corroded and wouldn't move! you may need to pull the body(fairly easy) to get better access. My body is off allready as I'm doing a major engine rebuild. To remove the driven clutch, take a 13 mm wrench,take off the bolt secureing the clutch to the end of the shaft, and tap it off with a rubber mallet-notice I said "TAP!" then, take the driven clutch to the work bench, remove the c clip,and heat the broken cam with a mapp gas torch,not cherry red,just so it's hot to touch, the spring will push the cam off most of the way so you can tap it off with a rubber mallet. while you have the driven clutch apart, clean and inspect the parts-replace as needed. The sliding side of the pulley may need tapped off of the shaft,clean the steel shaft with emery cloth so the brass bushing on the sliding side of the pulley slides easily on the steel shaft, I used a teeny amount of neversieze in the bushing when I reinstalled it Hope this helps!
streetrodderbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 1988 Club Cart Driven clutch Removal

driven clutch? take the belt off no tools needed and remove the center bolt clutch comes off, drive clutch you need a clutch puller.....drive clutch is front clutch...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
streetrodderbn
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The squeaking sound may be the belt as the driven clutch cam cant engage properly!
streetrodderbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Morgs72
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks to everyone that has reponded. Now I just have to wait for the parts to get here so I can start taking this thing apart.....
Old 04-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Morgs72
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Does anyone happen to know if there is a torque setting on the bolt you remove from the Clutch?
Old 06-02-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
driven clutch? take the belt off no tools needed and remove the center bolt clutch comes off, drive clutch you need a clutch puller.....drive clutch is front clutch...........................
Shadow?

That's what I thought as well as all of our driven clutches have came off with little effort. Until last night on a 92 DS it was rusted on and PB blaster didn't work nor a rubber mallet. Came down to a slide hammer used to break the beads on tires, and yes break the clutches on CC. LOL Anyway I need a used driven clutch for a 92 CC if you know anyone who has one.
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

havn,t run into that yet........but now that its posted that will be the 1st thing to happen......................lol................... .......
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driven cam
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car