lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Biggrhammr
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor short

I guess I went about this all backwards. My plan was to test the motor first, before anything else, and I forgot about it while getting wrapped up in the controller mess. I checked for continuity between A1 & S2, and there is. There's no short to ground on any of the terminals. Does this usually call for a rewind, or is it possible it's something simple? Sorry for asking so many questions.
Biggrhammr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Biggrhammr
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Motor short

Just took the motor apart, cleaned it . The brushes are ok, the armature has a little wear (I'll probably turn it). I reassembled it temporarily to test again, and no short. What the heck? It's a GE 5BC48JB839 Anybody know if I can get brushes and a bearing for this thing?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If parts are available 4 it, one of our 2 motor re-builders will know check out the bgw sponsors!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Biggrhammr
Not Yet Wild

I contacted EMP, and they have been very friendly, and gave a reasonable price to rebuild it if necessary. They said they would have to see it to know if they could get me parts for it or not.
They weren't able to offer a replacement for it (if that ends up being necessary), does anyone know what motors would replace this?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I googled your motor # and came up with this page of GE motors .... you can see that there are others in the same hp and application for Columbia like the #....JB829. I guess call GE? Or post a pic and description of your spline and mount? I bet $20 EMP can rebuild it If they can't... then we can cross that bridge? Good Luck

http://www.lunaindustriesinc.com/dc_motor_ge.htm
Old 04-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Biggrhammr
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, I saw that page too, that's all I got when I googled it. EMP seemed pretty confident they could rebuild it. Although I'm pretty sure it's got alot of life left in it like it is. I think it just had so much carbon buildup in it, that it was causing problems. I've rebuilt the main, and booster pumps on my pool several times over the last 20yrs, but haven't ever dealt much with DC motors (with the exception of putting bearings in my New Idea lawn tractor motor), especially a series like this one . Doesn't look complicated though. I'm sure if I wanted to, I could find the bearing locally, it's the brushes I don't know about.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
Biggrhammr
Not Yet Wild

Turned the armature, and put it back in, and it works using the 12volt battery charger test. Completely rewired the cart, and now just waiting on the controller.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That sounds good, keep us posted
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar