lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Question Spring and/or torsion bar squeak?????

I had a post here on this; Darn Squeak. I took the whole pass side steering arms and rod ends etc, And greased a few places.But my squeak is alive and living well. I kept saying "crosspring"Is this cross spring the- "torsion" bar that was mentioned? If So what do i do, first off -am i correct in my; assumption, about the correct name for it.? Its a single leaf spring to me,please get me back on track?... that squeak.......it is all thats left, to fix.Everything i took apart today~ had nothing ever done -to anything[cleaned and/or greased} with since, as i think......2002, And it was a rental kart.Can you share on this squeak . When rocked side to side,It has improved __

slightly.--------------thank you much~ for any help bob s
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Spring and/or torsion bar squeak?????

Just order a new front leaf spring from one of our wonderful site sponsors….. 60 bucks ….or take it all the way apart and look for wear/rub spots , if its the part I circled yesterday, that's all metal and nuts and bolts... no bushings in there , just bushings on the end of the spring....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Spring and/or torsion bar squeak?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
Just order a new front leaf spring from one of our wonderful site sponsors….. 60 bucks ….or take it all the way apart and look for wear/rub spots , if its the part I circled yesterday, that's all metal and nuts and bolts... no bushings in there , just bushings on the end of the spring....
Thank you Budule! i'll check this out , New spring? Where do you reccomend for this spring? The closest dealer for me is down in Detroit~~~~~definitely not going down there Someone gets shot everyday on 5;00 news. who would you order parts from Budule ~~~~~thanks much~~ bob s
Old 08-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/

or anybody on this list...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The only reason the spring itself should squeak is if the bolts that mount it to the frame are loose. Not very common, but I have had the get loose, and have had a few that just flat out broke off. I'd make sure it's not something like that before buying a new spring.

Lay on the ground and put your hand on it and have someone else rock the cart. If the spring is the source of the noise you'll feel it. You can do the same with the control arms and the shocks.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The only reason the spring itself should squeak is if the bolts that mount it to the frame are loose. Not very common, but I have had the get loose, and have had a few that just flat out broke off. I'd make sure it's not something like that before buying a new spring.

Lay on the ground and put your hand on it and have someone else rock the cart. If the spring is the source of the noise you'll feel it. You can do the same with the control arms and the shocks.
I did use a probe -noise finder.It did make the most noise when i touched the spring mounting plate with the probe.thank you much! Fairtax4me. Yes !i don't need money out, on any parts, if i can help it.Would you reccomend new hardened bolts. 5s or 8s?I can tighten the piss out of them? bob s
Old 08-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Majority of the factory hardware is grade 5. I'm thinking the spring bolts are as well but I don't remember off-hand. I always replace them with grade 8 for better corrosion protection and higher tensile strength.

The 4 that hold the lower spring pad on are 5/16-18 x 1-1/2" I think.
The 4 that hold the front shock tower/steering tower to the frame can randomly break as well. Those are a bit harder to change, but are 3/8-16 x 4-1/2" if I remember right. I seem to remember the club car bolts being somewhere in between the sizes available at the hardware store, so I had to get the next size up and cut the ends down by 1/4".
Old 08-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

The squeak remainth----Its the upper A-frame busings these are a bummer to take apart aren't they?I've had the front suspension apart twice ,squeak remains. Do i have to drop the spring and what else ~~~~set it up on jack stands????? to get the a ARM bushings out???? bob s
Old 08-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #9
blindly
Not Yet Wild

Hi Bob. Does your cart have a windshield on it? the reason I ask is I had a squeak that I would swear was coming from the front end. I checked and lubed everything. The squeak was still there. My brother came over and we were moving cart side to side and he said he thought it was coming from the windshield?? They're the plastic brackets that hold the windshield on the frame. I pulled them off and sprayed some lithium grease on the back of the brackets and put them back on. Squeak was GONE!! Been fine ever since. Worth a try at least.
blindly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

No you don't have to remove the spring.

Jack the cart up under the spring perch. Put stands under the Round bar that runs through the frame.
Remove the wheels, remove the bolts that hold the front bumper on. Remove the two bolts or clips that hold the front body panel to the frame.
Pull the body panel out and use a piece of scrap 2x4 or anything else that will wedge the front body out so you can have some access behind it.

Remove the nut that holds the shock on, then remove the Outer bolt on the control arm. Use wrenches to remove the Rear inner control arm bolt first, then remove the Front inner control arm bolt. Sometimes these get seized into the bushings, and if that happens you may need to cut them.
Once the bolts are out, Slide the arm out and then slide the shock off of the stud on the arm. The old bushings might just fall out, but if they don't a punch takes care of them pretty easily. Clean any dirt out of the bushing holes in the arm. Use plenty of grease and push the new bushings into the arm. Then I use either a vice or large C-Clamp to press the new sleeve into the new bushings. It can take some effort, and you need to make sure it gets pushed in straight.

To Re-install, reverse the order of removal.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car