lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2022, 07:45 AM   #1
HTsInKy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV Batteries and range

Recently purchased first golf cart, 2018 EZGO RXV. Dealer said he checked the Trojan batteries and under load were over 80%, and would last me a long time. But I have very little knowledge about golf carts. Purchased it mainly for use at campgrounds, also for a 5 mile round trip to visit a relative. Charged while at small campground overnight, then only drove once about 1.5 miles around it. Came home, parked it a few days, not recharged. Then visited relative, an additional 5 mile trip. So only drove about 6.5 miles total in 4 days. Had read it should get a bout 20-25 miles on a charge. I notice on one hill returning seemed not as powerful as usual. Checked voltage before putting on charger today. Was 12.50,12.50,12.51 and 12.44, and total read 49.97 with volt meter. Question is does that voltage seem OK, and how many miles should I get on a full overnight. I have 4X12 Trojan batteries installed. Any info, would be appreciated..
HTsInKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2022, 08:58 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Batteries and range

First, you'd charge your batteries after every use, even after a short trip. Keep them fully charged as often as possible. That way, you're always ready to go and it will expand the lifetime of the batteries. Check the waterlevel periodically too.
Your voltages seems to be ok ( around 80% SOC ). The 4x 12v setup is not a range wonder and the batteries are 4 years old now. But you can get some more years out of them with good maintenance.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:07 PM   #3
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

With US Batteries installed this year, we are driving about 8-10 miles and the battery gauge shows half. I haven't checked pack voltage yet after that long of a drive but I will this weekend.

Range will vary drastically with speed and hills involved.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:12 PM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartdoc1969 View Post
With US Batteries installed this year, we are driving about 8-10 miles and the battery gauge shows half.
Really... my longest roundtrip so far with the Trojans were 20 miles, not only flat, windy and the gauge was at 75% when arrived back ( batteries were 1.5 yrs old at that time ). Probably the US batteries still braking in?
Old 06-21-2022, 02:08 PM   #5
HTsInKy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info, charged them up, now have 13.0,12.99,13.01,12.92, and
total for all 51.98. Dealer told me not to charge, until about at 1/2 charged.
Guess from now on will keep them charged after every use.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:52 PM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Pretty good, Trojans are one of the bests on the long run. My very first set T-105 / 6v in a TXT cart were 14 years old and still alive...and the dealer recommendation is wrong. Needle at half on the gauge or 50% means " empty ", never discharge the batteries below. Enclosed a helpful SOC chart for Trojan brand batteries
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - Trojan Battery.JPG (56.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-21-2022, 03:34 PM   #7
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Really... my longest roundtrip so far with the Trojans were 20 miles, not only flat, windy and the gauge was at 75% when arrived back ( batteries were 1.5 yrs old at that time ). Probably the US batteries still braking in?
They are still breaking in, only about 10 charges on them. I also need to reset the controller. I'm sure the old batteries are still being used in it's calculations. I'll know for sure this weekend when I can check pack voltage are the drive.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:23 PM   #8
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

use a muti meter/volt meter for true battery voltage .not factory installed volt meter battery guage.
like said charge after every use until charger terminates charge cycle.
keep in mind you don't know how batteries were cared for before you got cart.
even when not used I charge batteries every 2 weeks as they do discharge without useing.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:23 AM   #9
HTsInKy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
use a muti meter/volt meter for true battery voltage .not factory installed volt meter battery guage.
like said charge after every use until charger terminates charge cycle.
keep in mind you don't know how batteries were cared for before you got cart.
even when not used I charge batteries every 2 weeks as they do discharge without useing.
Agree a Multi/Volt meter is way more accurate..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO