lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #1
Luke Rozier
Not Yet Wild

Default Installing lights on '07 Precedent. Need voltage reducer?

There have never been lights on the cart. I know the 2007 precedents come pre-wired for lights, but do I need to install a voltage reducer? Is there already one on the cart? battery set-up is four 12v. Thank you in advance!
Luke Rozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Installing lights on '07 Precedent. Need voltage reducer?

I believe they used a single 12v battery for that purpose. My DS's were that way.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
Luke Rozier
Not Yet Wild

Ok, great! I saw a madjax light install video, but they made no mention of the voltage reducer so I wasn't sure if it had one or not...or needed one for that matter.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

While not "needed", if You do use 12v accessories more than occasionally, it is highly recommended to install one to prevent early battery pack failure.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Luke Rozier
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
While not "needed", if You do use 12v accessories more than occasionally, it is highly recommended to install one to prevent early battery pack failure.
Hi Sergio,

I will only be using this for lights at the moment, but I would like to install a radio in the future. With that said, I may as well go ahead and install the reducer now. Any recommendations on a 48v to 12v reducer? Can you also point me to a place where I can read up on how to install the wiring/accessories for use with a reducer? I can DIY, but I have no idea where to start.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
Luke Rozier
Not Yet Wild

I just found a good video explaining how the reducers work and how to install it. There are only one positive and one negative output though. I assume if you hook up multiple 12v accessories you just splice them all together?
Old 08-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
swm63
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Rozier View Post
I just found a good video explaining how the reducers work and how to install it. There are only one positive and one negative output though. I assume if you hook up multiple 12v accessories you just splice them all together?
The next step would be to connect those 2 runs to a fuse block or some distribution block to divide the output for your additional accessories.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:08 AM   #8
Luke Rozier
Not Yet Wild

I now have the light kit, but I have no idea where to place the reducer within the factory wiring. Here is the video I watched on how to hook up the lights to the factory wiring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln-_h89dyw4 Where would/could I place the reducer?
Old 08-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Reducer location, compliments of Yawood. Reach out to one of the vendors (TahoeDawg @ Revolution Golf Cars or ScottyB @ Carts Unlimited) for a reducer. They can make sure you get the small harness (specific for Precedent) that bridges the existing wiring to the reducer. all connections are made behind the dash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 10.09.00 AM.jpg (71.4 KB, 0 views)
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
Luke Rozier
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Reducer location, compliments of Yawood. Reach out to one of the vendors (TahoeDawg @ Revolution Golf Cars or ScottyB @ Carts Unlimited) for a reducer. They can make sure you get the small harness (specific for Precedent) that bridges the existing wiring to the reducer. all connections are made behind the dash.
Thank you! I actually spoke with David (TahoeDawg) earlier today. What I need is the VOLT-2003 reducer which is plug & play for the Precedent lights. It also has an additional output for other accessories. For anyone else in a similiar position, you can buy it off his website (https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/). Once installed, you can take your factory installed blue wire connected to the positive terminal on the "Main Negative Battery" and move it to the positive terminal on the "Main Positive Battery". This way you will have 48v going to the reducer, instead of 12v.

*I am not an expert, so if any of the above info is incorrect, please let me know! Thank you all!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car