lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
brunson67
Getting Wild

Default All Negatives to B- Controller?

Can some one please explain regarding all of the negative hook ups needing to go to the B- of the controller? I have a 48 to 12 converter, and I'm running lights, stereo, LED whip. How should all of this be wired? My cart has been running for over five years, but I'm adding an on board Granite Digital Battery maintainer/de-sulfator, and I want to make sure I do everything correct.

Thanks
brunson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: All Negatives to B- Controller?

I can think of two reasons. One, so the batteries charge correctly. The OBC needs to know all the current being used. Two,you can cause ground loops which will cause noise in any audio or video equip. There may be more
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If you are properly hooking up a converter, you should be going to a fuse panel with it AND it should include a Neg buss bar and there will be your "properly" placed Neg's to complete your circuitry and then you are not trying to run everything to the B-.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:52 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunson67 View Post
-snip-
I'm adding an on board Granite Digital Battery maintainer/de-sulfator, and I want to make sure I do everything correct.
I would run that directly to the packs's main Pos and Neg posts...
Old 07-31-2018, 07:24 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The cart's battery pack main negative battery cable goes to controller B-. Connecting control circuit wiring to controller B- is the same as connecting to the battery main negative without the corrosion problems associated with a battery terminal connection.
The same is true for the other end of the battery pack main positive cable which goes to the solenoid... connecting here is the same electrically as a battery main (+) connection without the hassle of a corrosive battery connection.
I hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Reason #3 If you connect it anywhere else its going to be messing with the OBC. (if you have one)
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #7
brunson67
Getting Wild

Thanks for all of the input, its been a few years since I wired my cart, so I looked at it last night to refresh my memory. My 12 volt converter negative lead is connected to the main battery negative terminal, I then ran a separate ground wire from the battery main negative terminal to a ground buss bar. This is where I connected all of my negatives from my accessories. Is this okay? Will my OBC still be accounting for the drain from these accessories? Thanks
Old 08-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Will my OBC still be accounting for the drain from these accessories? Thanks
No, you need the Neg bus bar to come off the B- at the Controller so your Main Pack Neg that runs thru the Halo sensor in the OBC can account for the energy units being utilized.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #9
brunson67
Getting Wild

Thanks NoleFan4Ever!

So, I will disconnect the wire from my Battery Neg that is now going to my Neg bus bar, then run it from the said buss bar to the B- of the controller. This then will allow the OBC to account for the energy of my accessories.

I've been running it the other way for five years, would it be advised for me to pull my batteries and charge them individually? I'm assuming I've depleted them to some degree and since the energy wasn't being accounted for, the charger wouldn't fully charge them?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
I've been running it the other way for five years, would it be advised for me to pull my batteries and charge them individually? I'm assuming I've depleted them to some degree and since the energy wasn't being accounted for, the charger wouldn't fully charge them?
Probably not. Like many of us you probably unplugged it and plugged it back in many times without riding it and when that occurs, the OBC is not looking at energy units used and reverts to a basic charge. Anytime you unplugged your pack you also reset the OBC and it again did a basic charge.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car