lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Ideas for dome light, but no AAA batt's?

Hoping someone has an ingenious idea for this...

I'd like to have a dome light that can be turned on before getting in the cart, without having to turn on the key to activate the 12v reducer.

I do have Scotty's 30A reducer which has a radio memory lead, and thought about using that lead to a 12v dome lamp, but the reducer draws a very slight amount of power, even when off, so I'm wiring it such that both the B+ and switched B+ (to turn on unit) are applied power by a relay when the key is on, so this eliminates that as a possibility.

Battery operated is fine, BUT here's the hitch...I'd rather not have one with AAA batteries. The cart is going to stay out at our desert place. I've had too many battery powered things out there ruined by battery leakage, so it would have to be powered by coin cells, or some other kind that won't leak when depleted.

Any ideas welcome...
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2018, 06:22 PM   #2
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ideas for dome light, but no AAA batt's?

I had about the same issue and I got a light and replaced the bulbs with LEDs for a low draw and then just tapped (and fused) 2 of my 6v batteries. The LEDs seem to have a range so if you have 8v it may run on one or two of them.
Fegarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oops. I just read your sig and see you have a 48v pack. I know many of the LEDs go up to 30 but not sure if any go to 48.
Fegarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Use a small 12V gel-cell to power the LEDs and charge it with the 48V to 12V reducer via a couple of steering diodes.

Or maybe a small 12V lithium would do the trick, but not sure about charging from the voltage reducer.

Also, look into using a supercapacitor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Use a small 12V gel-cell to power the LEDs and charge it with the 48V to 12V reducer via a couple of steering diodes.

Or maybe a small 12V lithium would do the trick, but not sure about charging from the voltage reducer.

Also, look into using a supercapacitor.
Didn't think about using the cart to recharge a rechargeable.
That's the insight I was looking for, thanks!

(Also considering using lithium AAAs, as they don't leak, but like your idea better.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:14 PM   #6
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

We rearranged our bedroom and there were no outlets nearby for a lamp. We ordered a pair of switched led lamps with built in batteries like a smart phone. They recharge with the same micro usb port like our Samsung and Motorola phones. And they snap out of the mounts to carry if you want to.

Similar to these.

LED Closet Light Motion Activated, Moresky 10 LED USB Rechargeable Under Cabinet Light Wireless Stick-on Anywhere Magnetic Motion Sensor Light for Kitchen, Hallway, Stairway (2 packs,Cold White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079K9NBW9..._VQFdBbEF5J185
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I bought a marine dome light, then opened it up and cut several traces on the circuit board and added a SPDT 3 position switch, so I have dim, off, and bright. My light has 12 LEDS, wired with 6 parellel circuits of 2 LEDs in series. So dim is 2 LEDs, bright is all 12.

You might be able to find a motion detector with a timer, but it would turn on any time someone walked by. Another option might be a used keyless entry for a car. Put it on your key ring, and turn it on like you can unlock most cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3064.jpg (153.4 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:04 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I went to the link Rooster59 posted, but couldn't find the dimensions, then I went there again and saw the second picture, which looks like a good size for a buggy. If you have a USB adapter, you could probably charge it without even removing it.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:11 PM   #9
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I went to the link Rooster59 posted, but couldn't find the dimensions, then I went there again and saw the second picture, which looks like a good size for a buggy. If you have a USB adapter, you could probably charge it without even removing it.
@Rooster59 - Those are a great option, thanks!
@Yurtle - I've got a 12v to USB adapter, so I think I'm going to use the reducer (per JohnnieB's suggestion) to charge it while driving.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:20 AM   #10
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
The ones we bought were shorter and offer an on/off switch and a motion switch. That was just an example. When we bought ours I must have browsed nearly 50 versions. We use them for two to four minutes a night. The last time I charged them was February.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO