lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
KDW
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 85 Club Car won't run

Hello all,

First time poster and first time owner of a 85 club car DS 36v (SN: A8518 75711). I have plans to slowly but surely turn this 200.00 find into a family cruiser/lite hunting buggy. However, I'm having trouble getting the pretty little thing running. I have very basic electrical skills, and have been doing tons of reading and searching on here for information so as not to waste anyone's time, but i'm not sure where to go next.

So here's my issue. I plug in the Lestronic 36v charger in (model 8714) and it hums but the amp meter does nothing. However, when i test the voltage across the pack it goes form 29v to 41v when i plug in the charger and turn it on. Doesn't that mean my charger is working? The cart won't turn on or do anything at all. I've also checked the diodes and fuse on the charger and they check good according to Lester's troubleshooting manual online I found. Anyone have any ideas as to what my next step is here? I see there are a ton of extremely knowledgeable folks on here and any all help would be greatly appreciated. Excited to get involved in the addiction!
KDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 85 Club Car won't run

How old are the batteries? How long have you let the charger run? Have water in batteries?

Welcome to BGW!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
KDW
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Guy didn't know how old they were, They are Trojan 105's and the battery terminals have "B4" on top of them? Let the charger run overnight last night. I did not check the pack voltage beforehand though. Plenty of water in batteries.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

So, you have 29v after charging all night. Either your batteries are 3 years old or 13 years old.

I'm guessing 13 year old no good batteries.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
KDW
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

That seems like a pretty strong possibility. Anything else I could do to make 100% sure before I shell out the money for a new set?
Old 07-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I'm not that familiar with the chargers that old. I think they are pretty simple and it sounds like yours is working but has an indicator problem. Are the batteries "swollen" or bulging out?
Old 07-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #7
KDW
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Nothing out of the ordinary with the appearance of the batteries. The entire compartment looks pretty clean as well as the batteries with no signs of corrosion or major issues. I've got them back on the charger again tonight to see if I can get any change in the pack voltage since I know my starting point this time.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

29v across the pack is very low.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #9
KDW
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Well, I checked the pack voltage this morning after letting the charger run all night. Pack voltage went from 29v to 32.5v. So I have an increase but it's still not close to where I need to be. If batteries are charging this slow, does that mean they're toast? Any harm in continually charging as long as the pack voltage is increasing?
Old 07-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Without seeing them it is impossible for me make that call.

Tags
1985, club car, won't run
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car