lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2021, 07:28 AM   #1
eldrima
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV intermittent issues

So I bought a used cart about 2 months ago from a private party and he indicated he had occasionally experienced an issue where the cart would stop working and he determined there was too much weight on the key ring which was causing the issue. Didn't seem like a big deal and didn't concern me much.

Since then, despite just having the ignition key and a ring on the key, I've experienced this issue about 5-6 times. Every single time it is when I have come to a stop with the cart and am ready to go...it just doesn't want to go. All accessories are still powered on so it leads me to think it is beyond an ignition switch issue (Although I have not replaced the ignition switch).

When it happens, I usually resolved it by keying it off and then back to FWD and you can feel the electric motor engage and it works all of a sudden. This issue happened about a week and a half ago and didn't resolve itself after multiple attempts switching the key on and off again. I finally toggled the tow/run switch and I was off and going again.

Last night I experienced the issue when I was stopped at a traffic light on Main St in my town. Multiple attempts to fix it switching the ignition didn't work. I tried the tow/run toggle and that didn't work. I was blocking traffic for multiple light cycles so I tried switching it to tow and putting the ignition in N and the cart didn't want to budge. I had a passerby park his vehicle and come over to help me and all of a sudden the vehicle would allow it to roll when pushed so we moved it to the side of the road where I parked it for a few hours. When I came back later it had no problems going when I turned the key to FWD (previously toggled switch back to Run).

Here are the details on my cart:

Info on the current setup:
6 seater RXV cart...pretty certain it was manufactured in 2012.
- Has the 350A Curtis 1206AC-5360 controller
- Iskra (based on internet search...label is smudged and ___ra appears visible) AMT7120 3 Phase AC Motor. 1/24/2012 manufacture date
- 1EB045-34 36V 51W MATRIX INTERNATIONAL Servo Motor Electric Brake (8/20 manufacture date)
- 23x10x14 tires
- Spicer DANA model 012AJ474 1 Rear Differential (couldn't find the gearing info on this one)
- 4 x 12V Trojan T-1275 batteries (think manufactured in January of 20...XA020CA.... laser etched serial numbers on all 4 batteries)

I'm guessing it could be the ignition, tow/run switch, and or controller going bad. The fact that this issue only seems to pop up when the vehicle comes to a stop and I try to go again (has not happened to me while driving down the road), I'm fearful it could be a bad controller.

Anything else that might be the cause of the issue? Aside from replacing parts, how can I isolate or diagnose the issue? Thanks!
eldrima is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV intermittent issues

I would lean towards either the solenoid or the motor brake based upon your description of the issues. Solenoid would be first on the list to try. Mine was doing something similar a while back and that was my fix. Cycling the key on mine would work sometimes and sometimes not.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:25 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Also next time it happens turn the key off and pull up on the pedals. Also listen for solenoid clicks when you turn the key on.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Might be a little back woods but the next time it does this before you do anything try to open the seat and carefully push the pedal and tap on the solenoid.
If it moves you might have a sticking solenoid.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #5
eldrima
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
Might be a little back woods but the next time it does this before you do anything try to open the seat and carefully push the pedal and tap on the solenoid.
If it moves you might have a sticking solenoid.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Had not occurred to me that the solenoid could be the problem.

This reminds me of the time I was stuck in a parking lot with my hood up in my Jeep Cherokee. A guy driving by saw me and pulled into the spot next to me with his Cherokee and I told him it wasn't starting. He pulled a wooden paddle out of the back of his Jeep and told me to turn the ignition again. He tapped the starter with the paddle and the Jeep fired right up.

Good to have people like him and you all in this community!
Old 10-12-2021, 08:38 PM   #6
Threeput
Gone Wild

Another problem I had was the 2 pin electric plug connecting to the brake contact was intermittent...to test ...put switch in tow and see if you can move the cart by hand...if not wiggle the plug...I got round this by removing the plug and pushing the contacts in the plug in a little..no problems for months now
Threeput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #7
eldrima
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

One question...this solenoid is a 36V. I've read that some of these RXV carts use a 36V (earlier RXV carts) and some use a 48V solenoid...depends when it was made and what is programmed into the controller. I have no idea what my controller is programmed for but I do know the solenoid has a 2017 manufacture date and the controller has likely been reprogrammed at some point since it will run 26 mph. Any chance the controller is re-programmed for a 48V solenoid and when one went bad in 2017 (or later), they swapped it with a 36V solenoid because that is what OEM would have been for a 2012 RXV?
Old 10-15-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

There is no way to really tell unless you have a handheld or laptop with a cable. I guess you could put your meter leads on the two small terminals of the solenoid and then turn on the key and see what it is.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO