lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #1
Brown32
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 PDS Motor Stall

Gents,
I know there are several threads on here and I have went thru them multiple times. Here is where I am. 36v all stock, freedom mode. I have had an issue for two years plus with intermittent "Run away mode and regen braking" when going down hill normally when WOT. This issue comes and goes, some days bad, some days not at all. When using around the yard it doesn't happen.

Now this has evolved and I am having a motor stall to the point the cart can't be driven. I have it torn apart and I was convinced that after reading another lengthy post on here that it was for certain the ITS. However I went thru the trouble shooting tree and when I perform the steps for checking voltage starting at controller and then to the motor with full throttle press I have momentary voltage that is required, the motors spins, then it goes to zero, motor stops and the it gives me the 4-2 motor stall code beep. No voltage says to replace motor.

Is this the motor or a different issue? Thanks for any help.
Brown32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2021, 05:08 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 PDS Motor Stall

A stock PDS controller in freedom mode limits the motor to about 4400RPM on level ground and tries to limit the motor to not much more than that going downhill WOT by using regen braking. IIRC when I was running a stock PDS controller back in 2011, I got about 19MPH on level ground and maxed out at about 21MPH going downhill WOT.

If the cart was intermittently not applying regen braking when going downhill at more than about 20MPH or so, then there are issues with the speed sensor or the controller.

I'm not sure what criteria triggers the 4-2 error, but going to 0RPM (no pulses from speed sensor) while the motor is drawing several amps might do it.

Make sure the screw holding the magnet disk in place on the motor shaft is tight and make sure sensor is properly positioned. (There are two snap rings and both have to be in their groove to properly position the sensor)

----------
If you have an automotive type DMM with a tachometer function, you can read the motor's rpm between pins 1 & 2 on J5. Set to 8cyl and it'll read the motor RPM directly.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #3
Brown32
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick reply. The cart does apply braking when it happens downhill. Beeping and heavy heavy braking.

I just pulled the rear drums off to make sure the rear-end wasn't binding. It will sometimes turn the motor instantly and run forever but most times it clicks the solenoid tries to run or either runs for a few seconds and shuts off.

Solenoid sometimes clicks multiple times as well. on off on off type of deal which made me think it was the solenoid contacts. Part of me still believes that the solenoid is dropping out.

I will check to see if this snap on meter can read rpm and I will also check the speed sensor.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:37 AM   #4
Brown32
Not Yet Wild

I do not have an option for Hz on my blue point or my fluke meter. I have further more done the following.

Speed sensor is in place with the snap ring.

Cart will now only run for just a few seconds and I haven't gotten it to run for an extended time for a while now, no load, it is on jack stands.

I am no longer getting a motor stall tone.

Solenoid pulls in, motor runs for about 1.5 to 3 seconds and shuts off. If I leave the pedal depressed the solenoid will go back open and it just sits there until I release the pedal, once the pedal switch cycles again it will repeat the process.

I have also tested the ITS. White wire has 15v standing, it drops to 14.9 - 14.6 as soon as it runs for a second. Once it stops running it goes back to the 15v. From everything that I have read this is too high, correct?
Old 10-12-2021, 10:50 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like it is time to replace the controller.

Replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS user programmable controller.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:31 AM   #6
Brown32
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the help. The last time it ran under a load for a ways it went into creep or I guess limp mode and the controller and motor were extremely hot.

Where is the best place to purchase the alltrax controller?
Old 10-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

This is where I got mine: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-xct-sepex--.html
Old 10-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
Brown32
Not Yet Wild

Thank you.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #9
Brown32
Not Yet Wild

Solenoid solved the problem. We shall see how long it last. Thanks for the help Johnny
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO