lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2021, 09:31 AM   #1
BShort
Not Yet Wild

Default 2009 EZGO RXV Motor Replacement

Hello,

I have a 2009 RXV that has been programmed to run in the low 20's and it sits on 23" tires. I did put the HD Brake on it that came with the lift kit and think that's where my problem may have originated from....

Anyways, a few of us were out on it, late into the evening, a couple of weeks ago and came to a grinding halt, thank goodness my wife was driving! At the time we were not in the best state of mind so our troubleshooting wasn't exactly on par with how I would approach the situation during the day. In the end a neighbor brought his truck, hooked on some straps and towed us home. When we got home everything around the motor was extremely hot, to the point where it smelled so bad, we disconnected the batteries and let it sleep outside that night. Fast forward to this past weekend, again it was getting late in the evening, so we decided to do a little wrenching. We removed the brake and to do that I had to pry off the wiring harness as it had melted to the motor. Then we removed the motor and the shaft will not spin on the motor or barely at all with a lot of force. The cart rolls very free now that the motor has been removed.

I emailed Plumb Quick about a replacement motor and they said that they don't have RXV motors so I am reaching out to all of you to see what my options are.

If you had a cart in my state, what would you do to get it back on the road? If possible, I would like to add some torque to what the stock motor had, as it wasn't a fan of hills but the top speed is plenty, especially for the way we act and drive...

I am looking forward to any and all suggestions as this is my first golf cart motor replacement.

Thanks!!
BShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #2
bbbdale
Gone Wild

Default 2009 EZGO RXV Motor Replacement

No after market motor options for the RXV. Gotta go with another EZGO motor. They are $820 plus tax and shipping from EZGo.
Took 4 weeks to get it.

You can however upgrade the controller.

About the melted plugs and such. Not sure how much damage you have there. Might just have to replace one part at a time and see if you can get it working.

New Motor $900
Stock Controller $500
OR Navitas Controller $900
Electric Brake $250

Looks like a hefty bill awaits if you need everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbbdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 EZGO RXV Motor Replacement

There are not many parts that can fail in that motor ( brushless induction motor ) probably only the bearing?
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
BShort
Not Yet Wild

I'm back for some more help!

New motor and brake installed over the weekend. The controller seemed to check out okay per my electrician buddy who put a meter on it.

Now then, the new motor sensor will not connect to my controller wire, the four prong plug is slightly different between the two. Without this wire connected, the cart will move forward and backward, but at a very very slow pace with a lot of noise and vibration.

Back to the motor sensor wire, I really wanted to cut and hardwire, being that it was new, I held back on my initial first reaction. After some phone calls, that my electrician buddy made, it sounds like the controller I have might need to be upgraded for the new motor?!

Any help or guidance on this as I am sure others have experienced this same situation.

I have pictures to post, but I guess I might be to new of a member to post them? Happy to email them to anyone that would like to see what I am up against.

Thanks again for all the help!!
Old 10-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Not sure what the problem can be, is the new motor a OEM replacement? And there won't be any upgrades for the Danaher controller because it's obsolet. Would you send me the pictures ( mr.pickup@o2mail.de ) ?
Old 10-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #6
BShort
Not Yet Wild

Pictures sent via email.

Motor purchased was part #671143 from Country Cat and it says it is an E-Z-GO 48V AC Electric Motor - 2008-2015 Model

Old 10-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for the pictures, what i can see is, there are some differences to the OEM motor Install. There should be a 4 pin and a 2 pin connector coming from the motor, and another 2 pin from the harness to the motor brake ( s. my picture ). Your motor has the different speed sensor ( OEM is a bearing encoder, placed behind the motor brake ). Your motor brake is connected to the motor, not to the harness from the controller? Your motor brake connector seems to be attached to a harness adaptor...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200722_112021.jpg (148.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-12-2021, 06:54 PM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just checked with Country Cat, part # 671143 is indeed a replacement for some older motor versions, including a conversion jumper harness. Check all connections according to the description coming with the new motor. It should fit 2008 - 2015 models.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:54 PM   #9
BShort
Not Yet Wild

Yea that first pic was an error with how the motor was connected. We were troubleshooting and trying different things. I didn’t realize I didn’t have a different pic and I’m traveling for work so I couldn’t take new. I can retake/send more if needed Thursday. The four pins don’t match up. Okay to cut and hardwire them?
Old 10-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #10
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BShort View Post

I have pictures to post, but I guess I might be to new of a member to post them? Happy to email them to anyone that would like to see what I am up against.

Here we go with the pictures from BShort: ( 5 of 6 )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GC 1.jpg (193.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg GC 3.jpg (243.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg GC 2.jpg (221.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg GC 4.jpg (182.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg GC 6.jpg (145.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO