lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
sheit98carryall
Not Yet Wild

Default Ideas for extending driven shaft...

We have a 98 Gas CarryAll 6

For a project my team is working on, we need to extend the input shaft (the one that holds the driven pulley on the transaxle) so we can add an accessory pulley that is directly driven by the rear wheels. The stock driven pulley has a bolt/washer on the end of the shaft which does not allow us to add a coupler to extend this shaft.
I found a "performance" clutch that appears to run on a larger diameter shaft Clutch, this would allow us to cut the stock shaft near the bearing on the transaxle and (using a coupler) put a longer and bigger diameter shaft that will allow us to add our accessory pulley. Is this a feasible idea in respect to this clutch working with the stock vehicles drive pulley?

Any input is appreciated.

Here is the thread with a little info about our project
sheit98carryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: Ideas for extending driven shaft...

If both pulleys on the input shaft only turn when the wheels turn, why add the extra pulley? Just run a longer drive belt?
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
sheit98carryall
Not Yet Wild

To be honest with you, the vehicle we were given does not run and has not run since we got it...we are in the process of repairing the transaxle. For this reason we are unsure of the status of the belt while the engine is not driving the rear wheels (i.e. when the cart is up to speed and the throttle is released and it is coasting). I would imagine the drive pulley would expand making the belt run on the idle ring (not engaged with the engine) but does the belt stay engaged with the driven pulley? ...does the expanding of the drive pulley take the tension out of the belt? If so it would cause our accessory pulley to lose its link to the rear wheels
Old 11-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You could take a piece of shaft the same size and
key it and the input shaft and bolt it on the end with a through
bolt for you pulley.
sleds have done this for years to facilitate removal
in the tight belly pans.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
sheit98carryall
Not Yet Wild

I feel like the extended through-bolted shaft would be very weak and the torque on the shaft would be enough to twist off the bolt (as in break the bolt). Do you have any pictures of this applied? In my head it makes sense but doesn't seem very strong.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

The driven clutch is typically "spaced" from transaxle housing. The driven clutch moves outward towards the wheel, so maybe a thin splined pulley on the inside of the clutch would work?
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Darn Flint, I was thinking the same thing and after reading all the other posts and pics you beat me to it.
Bolt a pulley to the driven clutch similar to the starter/generator pulley on the drive clutch.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
sheit98carryall
Not Yet Wild

Ours actually butts right up against the transaxle housing unfortunately, or that would have been a good idea. This photo roughly shows what I'm talking about. Keep the ideas coming guys, I appreciate the help.

Picture
Old 11-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
sheit98carryall
Not Yet Wild

Crash....is this what you're talking about (attached image)?

And what would be the best way to run a key from the existing shaft to the new through-bolted shaft? I'm curious if DOOmsman has a picture of exactly how they do this on their sleds as this seems like my best option so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c4_drive_clutch.jpg (80.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Yep, If you can locate a pulley like the one bolted on the front (drive) clutch and modify it to bolt to the back of the rear (driven) clutch you wouldn't need to add a keyed extension shaft for the pulley on the outside.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car