lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Need suspension help

Now that I have been working on my cart I see that something is not right on the front end....
DSCN0621.JPG

DSCN0622.JPG

Now I know why this thing rides like a buckboard wagon....when the lift was put on they flipped the front springs, now the springs are bottoming out on the drag links which were previously under the springs.
Also it doesn't look like the springs would work very well flipped like this....a lot stiffer, it bounces hard and rides rough.

I need some cheap suggestions for a solution.....

Could I make or buy a Pittman Arm extension to get the drag links under the springs?
bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need suspension help

Also they put shackle lifts only on the rear and the front and rear shocks both top out. Are the factory shocks still appropriate for a good ride after the lift? I didn't know there were extensions avl until I started looking at BGW threads...I guess I need some of those. I just assumed I needed to get larger longer shocks.....
Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

They do make the pitman arm risers. they lift tierod connection poinht about 2 inches but I saw them in the book today = not cheap at all
Stock shocks should be okay if the mounting is correct or correct extensions are used
I don't think i've seen the front springs flipped like that before?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
WickedCarts
NOT a Sponsor

the springs them self are not flipped .. does you spinldes have the risers on them????
WickedCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
John Morgan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond007 View Post
Now that I have been working on my cart I see that something is not right on the front end....
Attachment 25289

Attachment 25290

Now I know why this thing rides like a buckboard wagon....when the lift was put on they flipped the front springs, now the springs are bottoming out on the drag links which were previously under the springs.
Also it doesn't look like the springs would work very well flipped like this....a lot stiffer, it bounces hard and rides rough.

I need some cheap suggestions for a solution.....

Could I make or buy a Pittman Arm extension to get the drag links under the springs?
all you have to do is switch the ( inner tie rods ) from the bottom to the top, so that the nut is on the lower side. this will lift the tie rods off the spring enough to stop the scrubing, and you will have to realign the the tires hope this helps you on a better ride... JOHN MORGAN
John Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I see alot of 5" lifts hit on the springs. I agree, even though the tie rod ends are taperd you just have to ream out your steering arm so you can do the flip like JM said.
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

The problem I see from the limited view of those pics is whoever made that front axle did it wrong. The plate the springs are sitting on is at the wrong angle, if the axle was tilted more towards the front the risers/tie rods would clear the springs with no problem. this could be solved with a wedge spacer that would tilt the axle or you might get away with just adding a thick washer or two in the front bolt between the spring or axle pad. another fix would be to add an inch thick block between the rear of the front springs and the cart body. I guess you could try putting the tie rods on wrong as others have said but my opinion is that's just ucking it up more than it already is.
you do need shock ext., napa has them.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Problem = Cheap lift kit.

Lots of good info above

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Bond,

The shock extension fix is easy if you have a decent hardware store in your area. There is a long nut called a "connector nut" that you can screw onto the stud on the shock and screw a piece of all-thread in the other end. It is 3/8"X24 thread. Assemble it with red loc-tite.

Measure the distance between the shock mounts and make your extensions so the shock installs in the center of its travel. I cut the little unthreaded tip off of the shock stud before I put the nut on it.

Jim

jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah, they put on a 6' lift when I bought the cart about 7 yrs ago; guess I got a cheapo lift. They said the front was a 3" drop axle with getting another 3" by flipping the springs over.

The front axle has shock extensions but the rear does not. It has risers welded to the sprindles; I never really looked closely at any of it before until one of the risers broke off a few weeks ago and I had to weld it back on.

I didn't notice the tie rod being in the way of the springs until the other day when I was looking at it to see how tough it would be to mount a independant front to the frame.

I think I see what you are talking about; moving the tie rod ends from the bottom of the Pitt arm to the top? I'll try that, looks like it will give another inch of clearance.....has only about 1/2" now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0623.JPG (70.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0628.JPG (92.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0627.JPG (87.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0625.JPG (61.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0629.JPG (84.6 KB, 14 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO