lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
overthebarss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default proper clutch engagment

i have a 24 honda in a 94 short base workhorse. ccp cradle, 1190 ,stock driven clutch and a #10978 (45.5'') 1 1 3/16 belt and it still takes off like crazy! i want it to act like it did before the big block, i had a local golf shop tell me the belt is too wide? sounds weird but i kinda makes sense to me, when the drive clutch engages it grabs the belt right away. not gradually. belt, clutch too tight, too loose?????? it does it with the belt loose and when its tight. any help would be great. i can deal with it but, when the wife gets on and she throws one of the kids off the back seat, I am dead...
overthebarss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
EZGO GUY
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: proper clutch engagment

bump
EZGO GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
EZGO GUY
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Come on anyone, this is really serious we are going crazy trying to figure this out.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There's not much you can do to make it take off "easy" like before the big block. It takes time to learn how to "pedal" the throttle. Just make sure all your linkages are correctly adjusted...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
EZGO GUY
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thats what we have been doing, but it just didn't seem like that is how it was supposed to work. The only thing about having the belt tight (so it won't jerk as much) is that you can't stop unless you turn off the engine. I would rather have it creep then have it jerk because it is harder on the driven clutch when it does that.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Lets talk some more if the belt is loose it is engaging in a higher ratio higher diameter on the primary. If tight it is in higher gear(lower in the secondary). You need to check the belt side clearance in the primary and then work on the correct center to center.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
EZGO GUY
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I think it could also be the belt is to wide and when the clutch engages it jerks the cart. The guy at our local cart shop said it could be that the belt is too wide and told us to try a 1 1/8 belt width. Does that sound like it would work?

Thanks, Chris
Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
EZGO GUY
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

How come this cart doesn't have a jerky take off and this guy uses Honda motors in all his carts he sells. The must be a way to stop it from doing that. You can also see that he revs it before he goes, so he isn't feathering the throttle.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:27 AM   #9
ssmokey24
Getting Wild

i have a vanny 16hp using a stock ezgo clutch 1 3/16 belt i haved to losen the belt quit a bit to be able to idle in gear before as soon as i started the engine it would take off and if i stoped the belt would sequel like no tomorrow
ssmokey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Bars I asked about side clearance have you checked that. Also does the secondary close all the way down or is it sticking(hanging up) before closing all the way?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!